Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
" Chris I had imagined that the cap doffing would have lessened considerably by now and…"
29 minutes ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Aiglentina A Lamontagne
""Happy Birthday!""
51 minutes ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I love that one, Patricia! When you're trained in cap doffing and other servile habits,…"
1 hour ago
Kurt Neuleuf commented on A Former Member's group CRITICAL THINKING
"The average teacher teaches kids facts. The outstanding teacher teaches kids to teach themselves."
4 hours ago
"Stephen I hypothesise that the only sure fire way to teach our future citizens to think will be…"
4 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
7 hours ago
"The shallowness is astounding."
8 hours ago
"I know yeah. The British are encouraged to turn on people who believe in fairness and decency…"
8 hours ago
"Oh for shit sakes!!!!!!"
8 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on A Former Member's group CRITICAL THINKING
"Kurt now that's a hard one to answer. Our only hope I think is to teach our children not…"
8 hours ago
"Here's James O'Brien taking the deserved piss out of the anti-woke brigade of the Daily…"
9 hours ago
"Davy the sad thing about England and I say England rather than the UK is that we are a cap…"
9 hours ago
Davy commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Chris B While ever we have the structure of Society that we have you will never change it for it…"
16 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"No one can sit at the bedside of a dying child and still believe in God. -- Bertrand Russell No…"
18 hours ago
"And we're breaking our heads about how to change it...."
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Abby.60100
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Chris, I'm appalled by this behaviour and these attitudes too but I'm afraid I'm not…"
yesterday
"I am shocked, not just by inappropiate behaviour, but by the total want of responsible governing,…"
yesterday
"In both our countries the pioneers set out with a wagon and an oxen, with little else and built…"
yesterday
Andy Stout commented on A Former Member's group CRITICAL THINKING
"I think it is a crime that public schools do not teach kids HOW TO THINK. What could be more…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

I have a theory, but I want to see what you guys say first.

Hee Hee

Erin

Views: 1285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now if we try to slap that onto us dying..... Energy is never destroyed, it just changes.

Consider a battery. It eventually wears out and dies.

Nothing.

Where does the flame go when it's blown?

To another.

sorry there are no more reply buttons, and i'm having some computer troubles, my last reply just disappeared.  (sign that there IS a god afterall? lol)

ah, the 21 grams is an oldie but goodie, but has been debunked long ago,

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com/2007/03/does-soul-weigh-21-g...

but, still the story of the doctor who weighed 5 or 6 dying ppl over 100 years ago, and reported they lost 21 grams still is often told, offered as proof a person's personality has a physical weight, but a dog's personality doesn't.

like you yourself said:

//"Many people like to believe in the idea of a soul, and we often look to the empirical world to bolster our religious or spiritual beliefs, searching for corroborating physical evidence"//

truer words were never spoken. Erin.  and when we humans have been told, from birth on, by everyone we ever have met, that our species never ever dies, not really dies, it's hard to undo that notion.  Every single relative we've ever greived for, for our entire lives, we've been told, "they are not really dead." EVERYONE but everyone "knows" this is true!!! 

It has strong roots, and we humans do want to hold onto that idea.but there is zero evidence whatsoever for a life after death. 

the Story of Hank shows us, no one can prove the millions of years worth of dead humans aren't out there somewhere, in a sky or in a cloud, etc etc.

but, like the Story of Hank, ("kissing Hank's ass") demonstrates, no one can prove it's not real

video of "Kissing Hank's Ass"

http://youtu.be/fDp7pkEcJVQ

written version of "Kissing Hank's Ass"

http://www.jhuger.com/kisshank.php

(of course, you are an atheist, and don't buy the "kissing" part,but the idea we live forever, because we, after all,  are human beings, lingers on for you, and that is fine, probably no harm in thinking this, but, is absolutely zero proof this occurs.)

Me:   "Do you know anyone who kissed Hank's ass, left town, and got the million dollars?"

John: "My mother kissed Hank's ass for years. She left town last year, and I'm sure she got the money."

Me:   "Haven't you talked to her since then?"

John: "Of course not, Hank doesn't allow it."

Me:   "So what makes you think He'll actually give you the money if you've never talked to anyone who got the money?"

a christain would watch this and think:  Hanks mother might have gotten that million dollars, right?

Erin, you wil never talk to anyone who "got the money"....

but, as a nurse who has witnessed 100s of ppl who have had massive strokes,

yet, are still alive,

and see the dramatic, horrific damage that lack of oxygen to ONLY A FEW TINY CENTIMETERS of the brain dies,

and then,

try to picture,

what happens to the person if the whole entire brain and body die,

is hard to believe one can separate the brain and the person.

If a person has suffers the loss of a few cm of their brain,

and prior to this damage,

Aunt Mabel was sweet kindly lady who loved everyone,

and now,

Mabel is nasty, cussing violent person who doesn't recognize anyone,

where did the old Aunt Mabel "go"??  did she lose 21 grams when she lost her personality?

electricity is not "forever".  It can be dead/gone/nada, over. done. poof.

electricity does not need to change forms, it can be used up.  ONe of it's drawbacks as a power source...

whether in human skulls, or batteries, that electricity is gone, and measurably gone. 

I had a near fatal car accident, where I died in the car. I later spoke to the fireman/medic who watched me die, he said I blinked twice in slow motion and died. All I remember, and to me it felt like 4-5 minutes was seeing everything as clear as, but all differant shades of grey.

So Craig, are you saying, that you have memory of seeing things in black/white while you were clinically dead??  Or, you are unsure at what point in time you had this 5 minutes of black and white vision?

amazing you have any recall of the event whatsoever, so many ppl are not able to clearly remember, or even remember traumatic events at all., especially those that happen rapidly and unexpectedly, like car accidents. 
lol, i've had car accidents, in which i wasn't even physically damaged much, yet, still can't cleary remember the entire moment...bits of it, yes, the whole thing in precise chronological order, nope...

Yeah it's always been a odd one for me. The Medic who was at the car door, I was trapped. Said he watched me blink twice, then died. I can only recall concious events as to seeing everything in differant shades of grey, but clear. Not black and white, but grey. It was very odd. So from me having any recall to dieing, it makes logical sense that the timing would coincide with that last memory. Dieing in ICU I had no clue as I was in a medical coma.

//" So from me having any recall to dieing, it makes logical sense that the timing would coincide with that last memory."//

sorry, i don't understand,

so do you feel your memory of 5 minutes of seeing everything in black and whlte was while you are deemed clinically dead for 5 minutes,

or prior to it,

or just no idea when that 5 minutes occurred?

at any rate, it sounds like you have made marvielous recovery, so YAY! and wow, that must have been a terrible experience, glad you did survive.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service