Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"God is just a sick, sexually frustrated bully who likes to jerk off to us while we cry. -- Steve…"
5 hours ago
Richard Levison left a comment for Jeanette Joyce Steck
""Happy Birthday!""
7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Pathetic, huh?"
19 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"When the religious claim they have proof of the existence of god they can't use their holy…"
19 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Richard Levison's photo
Thumbnail

A woo woo religion!

"Richard, remember this from the recent past?  "Don't drink the cool-aid" "
21 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Richard Levison's photo
Thumbnail

A woo woo religion!

"Sorry Richard but it's obvious to me that Raelian message is nothing but pseudo-scientific…"
21 hours ago
Loren Miller left a comment for Andi Quinn
"Greets, Andi, and welcome!  I hope you enjoy your time here."
yesterday
Richard Levison posted a photo

A woo woo religion!

This photo is dedicated to our Atheist member Stephen.
yesterday
Richard Levison left a comment for Olivia McIntire
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for Richard Levison
"This is from the horse's mouth. Raelian website. And you say it's not a religion,…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for Andi Quinn
"You're welcome Andi. Glad to see you here."
yesterday
Mrs.B left a comment for Andi Quinn
"Hope to see you join, & comment in some groups. That's the best way to get to know us some."
yesterday
Andi Quinn left a comment for Stephen Brodie
"Hi Stephen, Thank you! It's so nice to find a community of atheists!"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"WOTMQ: Death Becomes Him"
yesterday
Mrs.B left a comment for Andi Quinn
"Good to see you here."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for Andi Quinn
"Hey Andy. Welcome to AU"
yesterday
Mrs.B left a comment for Wallis Lucy
"Good to see you here."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for Wallis Lucy
"Hi Wallis welcome to AU"
yesterday
Profile IconAndi Quinn and Wallis Lucy joined Atheist Universe
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

I used to be a big fan of the nature channels, but so many started peddling absolute nonsense. Apparently, viewers like it, because apparently the mermaid program was a huge hit. The history channels started showing pseudoscience crap, too, like "Ancient Aliens." Beam me up, Scotty, I'm done with the human race.

The wages of pseudoscience

I completely missed the disgraceful hokum the Animal Planet channel aired last week, Mermaids: The Body Found, a completely fictional pseudodocumentary dressed up as reality that claims mermaids exist. You can watch it now, though, until Animal Planet takes it down.

It’s genuinely awful. Total nonsense, gussied up with more nonsense: would you believe it justifies the story with the Aquatic Ape gobbledygook? Brian Switek has torn into it, and of course Deep Sea News is disgusted. How could the channel have so disgraced themselves with such cheap fiction?

Here’s the answer:

ANIMAL PLANET SLAYS WITH BEST-EVER MAY IN NETWORK HISTORY

Monster Week’s MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND Made Mighty Splash with More Than 3.4 Million Viewers

(May 30, 2012, Silver Spring, Md.) – Animal Planet devoured the month with its best May ever, earning its strongest performances in both prime and total delivery among all key demos, including prime deliveries of 681K P2+ (+7%), 508K HH (+7%), 330K P25-54 (+21%), 301K P18-49 (+12%) and 193K M25-54 (+30%), and total day deliveries of 456K P2+ (+13%), 355K HH (+10%), 215K P25-54 (+26%), 203K P18-49 (+13%) and 120K M25-54 (+32%).

Animal Planet’s May victory was propelled its first-ever Monster Week (the week of May 21), featuring MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND, which made a huge splash at the “tail” end of the week. MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND delivered nearly 2 million viewers (1.96M P2+) for its premiere, making it the most-watched telecast since the Steve Irwin memorial special in September 2006. The two-hour premiere scored a 1.3 HH rating and helped rank Animal Planet #2 in the timeslot, including 960K P25-54 (0.9), 482K M25-54 (1.0) and 477K W25-54 (0.9). The subsequent late-night airing of MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND earned the title of Animal Planet’s most-watched late-night telecast ever, delivering nearly 1.5M viewers (1.46M P2+), bringing the combined viewership to more than 3.4 million viewers. MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND encores Thursday, May 31, from 8-10 PM ET/PT.

Brace yourselves. More of this will be coming…unless more of us protest by turning off the Animal Planet channel altogether. They’ve just been rewarded for epic dishonesty with peak traffic; what lesson do you think they’ll learn from this?

Views: 1945

Replies to This Discussion

You missed it! it was on yesterday, and it was a re-run; check the listings for future re-runs, they usually run them pretty close to one another. It's also possible you can watch it online.

I forgot to add that since I did not watch to the end or read the credits, I did not see that Animal Planet states that it is a pure work of fiction and the scientists are actors, not scientists, it is, in other words, a "mockumentary". Should this have been stated at the beginning of the program?

NOAA link broken?

Thanks!

According to Deep Sea News, a lot of people commented on Twitter to indicate they bought onto the mermaid story. I'm sure this is due to the lack of upfront disclosure on the nature of the program. 

Cute :-)

The Narwhal Is The World's Most Magical Animal

If the unicorn of the sea isn't already your favorite animal, it should be.posted on March 17, 2013 at 1:29pm EDT

This is the narwhal. He wants to be your new best friend.

This is the narwhal. He wants to be your new best friend.
Source: tumblr.com

Narwhals have tusks, like unicorns.

The Narwhal Is The World's Most Magical Animal

Seriously, narwhals are real life examples of UNICORNS!

Source: tumblr.com

The tusk is actually a nine foot long tooth.

The tusk is actually a nine foot long tooth.

Male narwhals use their tusks to attract hot lady narwhals.

The Narwhal Is The World's Most Magical Animal

Narwhals don't spear their food with their tusks. It is believed that the tusks are used for impressing and fighting over potential mates.

In medieval times, narwhal tusks were sold as unicorn horns.

In medieval times, narwhal tusks were sold as unicorn horns.

Unicorn horns obviously have magical powers, so royalty paid a lot of money for them.

Source: nytimes.com

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service