Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahahahaha.....maybe shooting blanks?"
54 minutes ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Joseph got busy only after he was told he was getting help"
1 hour ago
Chris B commented on Doone's group World History
"Great! I enjoyed the mosaics in Naples enormously and this is just as beautiful!"
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group World History
"That's fantastic!"
2 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That explains a lot, thanks! Such a destruction!"
3 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group World History
"Extraordinary Roman mosaic & villa discovered beneath farmer's field in Rutland Just the…"
4 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks, Joan.  I found this online. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express"
7 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Totally agreed! It's great to see you again, Joan!"
8 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Good to see you back Joan hope everything is good with you."
8 hours ago
dead jawa posted a blog post

Russell's Lighthouse

I think both theists and atheists don't realize the full ramifications of Russell's Teapot. I would…See More
9 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"@Ian,  here is an answer from " "CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS and the…"
10 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I swam in this lake years ago."
11 hours ago
"BC FLOODS: HIGHWAY UPDATE, COQUIHALLA CONSTRUCTION & TRUDEAU ARRIVAL - Nov. 26, 2021"
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Good to see you, Joan."
13 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Thanks, Dan Baker, for your wisdom! And thanks, Loren, for your post. "The agnostic says,…"
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahaha.....sounds like Rick too."
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"And a good author."
13 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
" Mrs.B I don't know about Snore Dog but I've been told that's how I sound…"
13 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
" Mrs.B perhaps Joseph was an Incel"
13 hours ago
"Heat Dome in  summer, & these Atmospheric Rivers are totally new terms to us."
13 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

"Christianity is responsible for the way our society is organized and for the way we currently live. So extensive is the Christian contribution to our laws, our economics, our politics, our arts, our calendar, our holidays, and our moral and cultural priorities that historian J. M. Robers writes in The Triumph of the West, 'We could none of us today be what we are if a handful of Jews nearly two thousand years ago had not believed that they had known a great teacher, seen him crucified, dead, and buried, and then rise again.' " (From the book What's So Great about Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza.)

I have always believed that all religions had an enormous impact on the societies we live in;  I came across this article which I found particularly interesting.  I didn't read the whole of it;  it is lenghty and some part of it are not so relevant today.  But it was mentionned that in the face of great disasters in the east (or elsewhere) it's always the west, where we see the influence of Christianity whose supposed to help the poor (in fact they don'Lt look at their own) that comes to the rescue.

This is a very interesting topic for me; the influence of Christianity on society which I will keep on delving upon.

Views: 553

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mariaan: What in the hell were the Greeks doing during their Golden Age? -- 300 yrs or so earlier than the mythical birth of an idea (not a REAL person). Throw in the Persians, Babylonians, Mesopotamians in general. Egypt, China -- art, literature? Sophocles,Euripides,Homer (or whoever). Check out the remains of all the art produced by those societies. Christianity has been at continual war with science - check out Galileo, Copernicus, the tomes by noted scientists that they were unwilling to publish during their lifetimes for fear of life and limb.

This looks like a worthy God

23 GIFs That Will Mesmerize You

It looks so beautiful, so it's my god !!!!!!!

Nonbelievers stay inside of this holograms, while believers look at the big picture including a subtle change in surrounding forest. Alpha, a 21st century pioneer Philosopher.

Actually it is the other way round, boyo!

Why then didn't he just write it down on materials that are eternal  in all the languages of the world and presented it in person to each group of people that exists in the world. Not going through one man at a time. A man that adds his own biases to the words supposedly given to him by the bloke who sees all and knows all!

LOLZ!!

It just reminded me of the crazy story of the 'tour de Babel' (I put it in french deliberately !!!!!!!!!).

I find the article and Dinesh D'Souza offensive.

Reza Aslan on Bill Mahers show.

It's a lot like an abstract work of art apparently, you bring your suitcase full of prejudices to the viewing and decides what it means for you. At least a refreshing blast of air in the stale quarters of theology. Point he makes: the bible has no meaning. I agree. Let Lot enjoy his daughters and carry on while with fang and claw god destroys every living thing on earth except for those on a chosen luxury liner (Carnival perhaps?)

I am well aware that he ain't real, but the pure figment of peoples imagination and the way the Book is written portrays him as a solid person as well. But even a bodiless, supernatural god were he real would have made sure that his words were not open to interpretation and etched in to material that was eternal because after all he was supposed to have created this Universe. He etched the ten commandments onto stone tablets for Moses! As I said he would have notified every human society that existed about his supernatural existence and his words, not just one small tribe somewhere in the middle east!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service