Any who know me well, know that I have a serious reading addiction. If I were pinned down, with a gun to my head, I'm not at all sure that I'd be able to give my top ten books, though I could probably tell my favorite characters:
1) Rett Butler-hands down #1! Not only is he honest, but he'll do anything he has to for his loved ones. He's also the only pre 21st century, American atheist character I know of who wasn't demonized.
2) Humbert Humbert-I'm positively ashamed to admit that I was happy when he finally got his Lolita. 3) Scarlett O'Hara-I know she's only a closet atheist, but give her some credit; she did things that were abhorrent to her to make sure her family (even shithead Suellen) were fed and housed.
4) Henry DeTamble-My favorite chrono-displaced person: He's multilingual, very educated, and works in a library. He can also fight, raise three children, and perform oral sex.
5) Jack Jackson-Master Builder. Doesn't believe in god, but builds a beautiful cathedral because it's beautiful.
6) Douglass Dilman-first African-American pro tempore of senate and POTUS in 1963. He knows he has to be better than expected. He also knows what the assholes around him are up to-even when they don't.
7) Constantin Levin-doesn't realize just how much he deserves. Kitty is idiot enough to have to undergo psychiatric treatment before she goes to him. He even mows his own lawn!
8) Dagny Taggart- single-handedly holds a railroad industry together by sheer willpower. She also has a very satisfying sex life in a time when it's tough and inconvenient to do so.
9) Emma Corrigan-seems kind of out of place on this list, but she's precious. She's from Can You Keep a Secret, by Sophie Kinsella.
10) Lucky Santangelo-another one out of place-written by the trash queen, Jackie Collins, but she's smart, and tough. She can even hold a sharp knife to the testicles of a wayward investor.