Feedback and Notes

Latest Activity

Doone commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos
2 hours ago
Stephen commented on Lauren Ell's group Republican Atheists
11 hours ago
Lauren Ell commented on Lauren Ell's group Republican Atheists
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Stephen's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.
14 hours ago
Mrs.B replied to Mrs.B's discussion BC Surpasses Wildfire Record
21 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
21 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
22 hours ago
22 hours ago
22 hours ago
yesterday
yesterday
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion
yesterday
Stephen replied to Neal's discussion The Sunday Planet - August 13, 2017
yesterday
Stephen commented on Stephen's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.
yesterday
Lauren Ell replied to Neal's discussion The Sunday Planet - August 13, 2017
yesterday
Stephen replied to Neal's discussion The Sunday Planet - August 13, 2017
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
Stephen commented on Stephen's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.
yesterday
Chris commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

8 Reasons Nirvana's 'Nevermind' Is The Most Important Rock Album of All Time

This week marks the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's magnum opus. Here's why it's better than any of the rest.

1. Disenfranchised Kids, Winning

The dominant narrative in this country, even now, is that you pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and you will be rewarded with great riches, power and popularity. That is, of course, untrue—something that Nirvana explored in its lyrics. But something unexpected happened: they blew up. Their music resonated deeply with everyone who’d been disenfranchised by the voracious, greedy ‘80s, and there was a revolution rooted in ‘60s counterculture and ‘70s punk rock. Anarchist cheerleaders were suddenly on television, moshing. Nirvana were the depressive weirdos, and suddenly the depressive weirdos were the dominant narrative. Even if you’re used to being the underdog, sometimes it’s nice to be on top.

2. 'Corporate Magazines Still Suck'

But sometimes you don’t want to be on top. The interminable slogan Cobain wore on the cover of Rolling Stone to protest the personal-political concessions his own weary fame demanded of him, “Corporate Magazines Still Suck” represented the antiestablishment attitude of the band—and the crucial disconnect between his desire for people to hear his music, and his disdain for the tactics he took to get there. Still, Nirvana released its music on major label DGC—and now, in the split-income Internet era, it’s rare for even punk-rooted bands to have anti-corporate attitudes (evidence: every car commercial featuring your favorite music). Nirvana was the first to really grapple with this ethical conundrum, and ultimately opened the doors for “that one Volkswagen commercial” (read: every ad featuring your favorite music).

3. The Rise of the Working Class

Working-class rock music is the best, at least when it’s lefty (apologies to my fellow prog rock fans)—two words, Bruce Springsteen. But Nirvana did it different: they didn’t aspire to be within the system, ideologically speaking, and so they made it cool to buck a system that would hang you out to dry if you let it.

4. The Rise of Working-Class Fashion

In the same way, they made the grunge aesthetic cool—which meant those of us who’d been clothes shopping at Salvation Army out of necessity were finally in style. It sounds banal, but if you’ve been that kid, it’s absolutely important.

Alternet.

Views: 147

Replies to This Discussion

I have to confess that I'm not a big fan of Guns N Roses; and this one is my least favorite GunsNRoses song. I agree with Cobain on this one, LOL. Very appropriate, too. The world of entertainment and stardom is like a jungle, rock is no exception.

Heh, just about the only song they did that I liked. Raw.

The only Guns N Roses song I like is "Sweet Child of Mine" and that is mostly because my baby (my youngest son) like that song when he was a tween/teen.

I love the Unplugged album

Ah, Nirvana.

Nirvana was the first rock band I ever listened to. Before them I was listening to kid shit and bubble-gum pop. It's because I got turned on to Nirvana that I began exploring the wide world of music, discovering the greatest band ever, Led Zeppelin, among others.

I quickly established my style as Blues, but also loved Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, and Psychedelia... but I will always and forever love Seattle Grunge, and entirely because of Nirvana. This band influenced my musical life, really. I may be a bigger fan of Led Zeppelin, but no music had greater influence on my life than Nirvana did and still does. I can't get enough of Nirvana. They are the only other band, along with Led Zeppelin, that does not have a song, released of unreleased, that I don't like.

Admittedly, Nevermind is not my favorite album. Bleach is. In fact, of their original studio albums (Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide [a disc of rarities and b-sides], and In Utero), it's my least favorite. But I have to put that in perspective, because, quite honestly, despite the fact that it's my least favorite of Nirvana's original studio albums, it is still, in my opinion, one of the greatest albums ever released, and I never tire of listening to it over and over again.

BTW... did you know that, on Saturday, September 24, at 8 pm, on Sirius Radio, Jon Stewart (yes, the Daily Show's Jon Stewart) will be interviewing Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic? I don't have Sirius, but I'll be trawling the web as I'm dying to hear this interview. I hope you are, too.

And one more interesting factoid. Did you know that Kurt Cobain, while sometimes considering himself a Buddhist and at other times a Jain, may have considered himself an atheist, as well?

http://atheism-.tumblr.com/post/9816453334/kurt-cobain-19-years-old...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071211191755AAlDmv9

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question90508.html

The guy who got me into Nirvana told me Cobain was an atheist. At the time, I was still a believer, but I also thought it was part of what made Kurt's and Nirvana's image so epic. I loved that he might have been an atheist, even when I thought that God did exist.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service