Feedback and Notes

No Gods or Scumps Allowed

Latest Activity

Onyango Makagutu commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"People still believe in miracles. Maybe I should also be made saint"
1 hour ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"Religion is useful to the rulers and Trump is using it to his advantage. To counteract this, people…"
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"Rulers use religion. —Seneca(?) What would increase the effectiveness of our attempts to…"
9 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group The Burgeoning Problem of Living on Earth with a Cockwomble as the Most Powerful Person News
"The UK has resisted the creation of ID Cards even during the war. Besides it smacks as a way for…"
9 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group The Burgeoning Problem of Living on Earth with a Cockwomble as the Most Powerful Person News
"We've had photo ID for quite sometime."
9 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group The Burgeoning Problem of Living on Earth with a Cockwomble as the Most Powerful Person News
"Voter ID: Government announces plan to prevent UK citizens voting without photographic proof of…"
10 hours ago
Stephen replied to Sydni Moser's discussion Strawberry Dishes to Make Now in the group Vegetarian and Vegan Atheists
"Strawberry and Kiwi smoothie you can't go wrong with those two."
14 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Kami
"Happy Birthday, Kami! Have a great day."
15 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for jessica stanfield
"Happy Birthday, Jessica. Have a great day."
15 hours ago
Stephen commented on Stephen's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and all those lucky places that doesnt have Trump as its leader
"Operation Christmas Child: Does its charity benefit the public? Samaritan's Purse is again…"
15 hours ago
Stephen commented on Stephen's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and all those lucky places that doesnt have Trump as its leader
"Don’t take lessons on democracy from Church of England bishopshe bishop of London has…"
16 hours ago
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"Disturbing ideas about how the Scump Admin views religion Attorney General Bill Barr: "This is…"
21 hours ago
Ana Pirs replied to Sydni Moser's discussion Strawberry Dishes to Make Now in the group Vegetarian and Vegan Atheists
"OMG! I love it, I  love it, I love it! Strawberry art!)) I like Smoothie with Strawberry…"
23 hours ago
Ana Pirs replied to Jean Marie's discussion VEGAN lasagne? in the group Vegetarian and Vegan Atheists
"Lasagna wirhout cheese?  It's impossible I think!)) Cheese is the most basic in…"
23 hours ago
"Imagine No Scump "
yesterday
"Holy Monkey, the rules for saints are so ridiculous - they should just give out Sainthoods for…"
yesterday
"Ritual infant circumcision “morally impermissible”, say experts The religious and…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"Such a farce."
yesterday
Stephen left a comment for Todd Nichols
"Happy birthday Todd. Have a great day"
yesterday
Stephen left a comment for Terri Vandenhende
"Happy birthday, Have a great day "
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Another state under attack. Can't wait for these Fox News jackals to be thrown out of office.

Wednesday 8 February 2012
by: Mike Ludwig, Truthout

The American Legislative Exchange Council's (ALEC) influence weighs heavy in the Ohio's GOP-controlled legislature, where brazen attempts to crush the collective bargaining rights of public workers and change voting rules in favor of Republicans have made national headlines in recent months. Over the past year, Ohio lawmakers introduced 33 bills that are identical to or "appear to contain" elements of the ALEC's infamous model legislation that promotes a pro-corporate agenda, according to a report released this week by watchdog groups.

At least nine of the 33 bills have passed the State Legislature, including the now-defunct Senate Bill 5, which was poised to strip public employees of collective bargaining rights until Ohioans overwhelmingly voted for a repeal in November.

"At a time when Ohioans are desperate for cooperation ... seeking Democrats and Republicans to come together to create jobs to get our economy moving again, far too often we see legislation introduced that does just the opposite," said Tim Burga, president of the Ohio ALF-CIO. "Far too often, we see the influence of ALEC on the legislation that's introduced, legislation that is anti-worker, anti-consumer and anti-education, and it really seems like it's on behalf of the super-wealthy and the investor class."

Truthout

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

They are so despicable, I  almost feel not reading about them anymore- they are what they are and will never change until they die.

New Hampshire Republicans Propose Bill To Eliminate Workers’ Lunch ...

New Hampshire’s GOP legislature has come up with all manner of absurd bills recently, including a proposalmaking public school curriculum optional, another toprevent police from protecting domestic abuse victims, and even a measure mandating that new laws be based on the Magna Carta. Some of the Granite State’s GOP lawmakers have even proposed doing away with the law that requires employers to give their workers time off for lunch, under the rationale that all employers will simply grant lunch breaks out of the goodness of their hearts:

This is an unneeded law,” [Republican state Representative Kyle Jones] said.“If I was to deny one of my employees a break, I would be in a very bad position with the company’s human resources representative. If you consider that this is a very easy law to follow in that everyone already does it, then why do we need it? Our constituents have already proven that they have enough common sense to do this on their own.”

The bill’s sponsor, state representative J.R. Hoell, argued that companies failing to provide lunch breaks would be shamed over social media, thus rendering the law unnecessary. “If they are not letting people have lunch, they could put it out though the news media, though social media. I don’t think that abusive behavior would continue, the way communications are today,” he said.

Of course, not every employer can be counted to to follow even the easiest of requirements to look after workers’ health and rights. Back in 2005, Walmart was forced to pay $172 million for denying workers their lunch breaks. Pyramid Breweries Inc. settled a case in 2008 for $1.5 million. Just a few months ago, California ordered Embassy Suites to pay workers tens of thousands of dollars for forcing them to skip breaks.

“The fact that in 2012, I would be even sitting in front of the Labor Committee talking about eliminating the lunch hour is outrageous,” said Mark MacKenzie, New Hampshire’s state AFL-CIO representative. “People should at least be able to be given the opportunity to eat.” Fortunately, the bill does not seem too appealing to most of the New Hampshire legislature, and the state House’s labor committee adjourned yesterday without voting on it.

Heh, I read that one myself. Could be a separate discussion. Conservative governors are really screwing the country this election cycle.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service