Stephen left a comment for Neel Reddy
3 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Mariana Alemán
3 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Linda M Vanier
3 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for daniel noriega
3 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country Suffering from Fremdschämen about Scumpism News
3 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
3 hours ago
Stephen commented on Al Wm Johnson's blog post Money Changers in the Temple
3 hours ago
Al Wm Johnson posted a blog post
4 hours ago
Chris commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country Suffering from Fremdschämen about Scumpism News
9 hours ago
Suzanna commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
9 hours ago
16 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
17 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
18 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country Suffering from Fremdschämen about Scumpism News
18 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country Suffering from Fremdschämen about Scumpism News
21 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country Suffering from Fremdschämen about Scumpism News
yesterday
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral | Fungus or Scump
yesterday
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

I'm always running across some interesting tid-bit that I'd love to share with others, but, but, but, they just don't seem to fit into any particular group.

Here is your chance to post interesting, entertaining, funny, and noteworthy topics, videos, pictures, links, that tickle your fancy...

Views: 354

Replies to This Discussion

it worked! it worked.  so, if you ever lose your thread? just post again, and scroll back.  ta-da.  there ya are.

It doesn't take long to get around.

An interesting thing I read is that a cup of Joe is from the temperance movement.

It was named after the Secretary of the US Navy, Admiral Josephus “Joe” Daniels who abolished wine (or alcohol) on Navy ships in 1914. Thus, coffee (the next best thing) was the beverage of choice for the sailors.

https://www.rogersfamilyco.com/index.php/the-origins-of-a-cup-of-joe/

(raises cup to Joe..)
Interesting.

however, i wonder if Admiral Josephus has ever had a really well made "April In Paris" champagne cocktail.
Now, i love coffee, sure do, but it is NOT the same as a nice buzz.

then again, booze is not for everyone.... nope.  it can do some damage.

It may seem counterintuitive but,  Ifound spirits helped elevate seasickness.

If you looked at the manifests for old navy ships you would see how much liquor was provided

http://www.forbesontech.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/09/fun-facts-on-...

In case you’re wondering: that’s 126,230 gallons of distilled spirits and 64,300 gallons of wine.

Makes you wonder if the Constitution’s ship’s company was in the mood for strong drink when she birthed in Boston. This also serves to define the phrase “drunk as a sailor”

Thanks to fellow retired technology journalist and one time Lt. USNR  Jim Brinton for this factoid. -- Jim Forbes on 09/04/2009

As a side note there is also a vestibular disorder that some people have called  Mal De Derqument syndrome.

If I may that isn't related to drinking alcohol it's a condition maybe getting you sea legs on while aboard a ship when on shore the vestibular system takes a while to reprogam.

Unfortunately some suffer with Mal dequartment - 

Also called mal debarment syndrome for quite a while.  

For what it's worth that also happens on occasion to airplane passengers and crew.

I've had 5 inner ear surgeries therefor know some things about the inner ear.

I recommend using a antihistamine nasal spray a half hour before take off and  it's a long  flight using it a half hour before landing.

Of course if one doesn't suffer with congestion or other sinus problems it doesn't matter.

I think (unfortunately) that paren't taking kids on an airplane should sue a nasal antihistamine such as dristan so their children don't suffer the pressure changes during the flight.

GD it my computer and connection to Ning is broken.

I wrote a couple of posts that apparently weren't accepted.

Pisses me off.

Mal de debarquement

Licor about the Use Constition manifest

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/uss-constitution/

I recommend using a antihistamine nasal spray a half hour before take off and  it's a long  flight using it a half hour before landing.

Of course if one doesn't suffer with congestion or other sinus problems it may not be needed.  The Valsalva manurer to check the eustation tube may be sufficient to check possible ear problems.

Paren't taking kids on an airplane should administer a nasal antihistamine such as dristan to their  children so the child doesn't suffer the pressure changes during the flight.

I have to get my other computer working.  

Writing with a horse limping isn't working anymore.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service