Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

I'm definitely an atheist but I don't feel threatened by theists maybe sometimes by where their stupidity may lead us.

I'am an addict reader. I read all kind of books (especially attracted to mysteries and thrillers and a bit by the paranormal).  For me I read fiction and it entertains me.  The books I read, sometimes by known theists or known atheists, I read more for fun than anything else.  I would reject and refuse to read those that tried to throw their beliefs and ideologies down my throat.

An author who is obviously a theist has written in the last century (beginning of) some great mystery short stories, G.K. Chesterton.  He is shunned by atheists because one of his main character is a priest with another atheist sleuth.  Nowhere in his books was I to find religion slammed down my throat.  His books are mysteries  and I enjoyed them very much.   

We don't really know the beliefs of the author whose books we read;  if they are theists of one kind or another does that mean we should not read those books  ?  I don't agree with this view, especially with the genre I'm usually reading.

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

A good book is a good book,   he was very prolific

Chesterton wrote around 80 books, several hundred poems, some 200 short stories, 4000 essays, and several plays. He was a literary and social critic, historian, playwright, novelist, Catholic theologian[19][20] and apologist, debater, and mystery writer. He was a columnist for the Daily News, the Illustrated London News, and his own paper, G. K.'s Weekly; he also wrote articles for the Encyclopædia Britannica, including the entry on Charles Dickens and part of the entry on Humour in the 14th edition (1929). His best-known character is the priest-detective Father Brown,[21] who appeared only in short stories, while The Man Who Was Thursday is arguably his best-known novel. He was a convinced Christian long before he was received into the Catholic Church, and Christian themes and symbolism appear in much of his writing. In the United States, his writings on distributism were popularized through The American Review, published by Seward Collins in New York.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service