Feedback and Notes

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Kansas abortion crackdown: New bill says life begins at fertilization

I'm not sure why we keep playing with a woman's ability to control her health; maybe it's because they don't care? I guess if they do, the line has been drawn. 

Pro-life activists march during the March for Life January 25, 2013. (AFP Photo / Brendan Smialowski)

Kansas joined growing number of American states to impose abortion restrictions Friday by passing a bill stating life begins at fertilization, banning gender-based abortion and prohibits abortion providers from being involved in school sex education.

The Kansas House of Representatives voted 90-30 for the bill, while the Senate approved it 28-10. Both the chambers have Republicans in majority. The bill is now sent to the State Governor Sam Brownback, a strong abortion opponent, who is expected to sign it into law quickly. Thus, the new laws could be in force on July 1.

Among the bill’s 40 provisions, one denies doctors who perform abortions, as well as their patients, the use of public funds or tax preferences, ensuring no state money is used in the practice of terminating pregnancies.

The bill also demands abortion clinics provide all sorts of information on fetal development to the pregnant woman, as well as on implications the abortion might have.

The most controversial of all things stated in the bill is the declaration that life begins "at fertilization." The victorious bill proponents explain it does not mean abortions are banned altogether, but describe the declaration as “a statement of principle.”

RT

Views: 108

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure that we will continue to see more of these restrictions on women's right to choose.

If life begins at fertilization, there is no bigger hater of little baby's lives that the lord our god, who strikes all these fertilized eggs, embryos, etc. with miscarriages.

From Wikipedia:

The NIH reports, "It is estimated that up to half of all fertilized eggs die and are lost (aborted) spontaneously, usually before the woman knows she is pregnant. Among those women who know they are pregnant, the miscarriage rate is about 15–20%."[55] Clinical abortions (those occurring after the sixth week LMP) occur in 8% of pregnancies.[53]

and:

The estimate on the number of annual miscarriages in the United States range from as low as 500,000[61] to over one million.[62]

Yeah! A doctor once told that! Women sometimes can't tell the difference whether they are on period or if it was a miscarriage.

It is impossible to reason with such people

Hah!

Haha

The only thing that puzzles me about this is the lack of public outrage. Women need to grab those pitchforks and torches and invade the capital. Without a major backlash to these type of laws, the right for a woman to govern her own body will be gone.

Life begins before sperm fertilizes an ovum. All 300 million sperm that are released in an ejaculation are alive, so are the unfortunate 400 thousand potential eggs that females are born with that get wasted by not being fertilized. I'd like these 'Pro Life' fascists to have nightmares about those 300,400,000 "lost lives" 

The 'life' for which these guys are 'pro' begins a fertilization and ends at birth.
After that, everyone's on his own. They have mastered the art of being loudly irrelevant.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service