Feedback and Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Doone's group 99.9999999865% of the World and A Country Suffering from the Guidance of a Man able to name animals underneath pictures of them News
2 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group 99.9999999865% of the World and A Country Suffering from TPS = Trump Pinhead Syndrome News
2 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
2 hours ago
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Family Tree of the Naked Ape
2 hours ago
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Family Tree of the Naked Ape
2 hours ago
Doone commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
2 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
2 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group 99.9999999865% of the World and A Country Suffering from TPS = Trump Pinhead Syndrome News
3 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion
5 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion
5 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group 99.9999999865% of the World and A Country Suffering from TPS = Trump Pinhead Syndrome News
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group 99.9999999865% of the World and A Country Suffering from TPS = Trump Pinhead Syndrome News
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Paul Petre
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Ole Nielson
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for mike courville
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for hakan barut
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for godfuk
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Aquilo
8 hours ago
Stephen commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral
9 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

In the late 1980's I read an article in Wired magazine saying that a huge percentage (70%-75%?) of profiles represented on the internet were fake.  I've met numerous people personally through various Atheist social media/discussion groups.

I have never tried dating web sites. It seems to me that dating sites are designed to obtain more indepth and detailed information about the participant that can be sold to data mining farms.

I also remember in the mid 1980's the news rag U.S.A. Today had a front page article with an Orwellian title where a survey indicated that a majority of citizens wouldn't care if there was a CCTV in their house.  Since then reports have surfaced where laptop cameras and microphone have been hacked such that school kids were being observed and listened to by police officers assigned to protect students for example. One of the rent to own places was implicated for spying on their customers as well.

Internet dating sites must be a cash cow for obtaining detailed personal  information  for sale to marketing companies. 

Here's a web site that discloses the exploitation of lonely people (mostly men) through a site called FlirtLocal.com. I imaging that some of the internet dating services dig deep into personal information that would be extreemely valuable to marketers.

Today a survey company called me just as I began eating lunch. I said "I just began eating, if you call me back... BZZZZZ. [I'll take the time to answer your questions]" Fucker hung up on me. That company has called my about once a month for topics on numerous subjects. I'm never going to respond to one of their polls again. Ass hole. Interupts my day to hang up on me.

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everything is about marketing now, I would be wary of having a Facebook page or anything like that. I expect that everything I buy and everything I type will one day either be used against me or is making someone else money. Why can't I make money out of my infomation, it's always someone else.

It's a shame that you can't even go on a dating website without them mostly be fakes to lure you in though. I heard that it's mostly men on them websites and I can see why, a woman goes on it and is immediatly harrassed, made a joke of and sent inappropraite photos then when they reject the men they get called everything under the sun. I would never go on them myself for that very reason. I feel sorry for the ones who get conmen who extort money out of them too.

Back to the point though I wouldn't like to be treated like a goldmine of infomation for the invisble man to sell on to anyone, could be criminals for all you know. who are these people to think that any of that is ethical.

I have a phone that stops people ringing if they are from companies or even just people I never want to hear from. 

I have that same app on my phone Suzanna. But you are right I get fed up every time I buy something online or even take an interest in something I'm inundated with adds on the same subject. That's the modern world I'm afraid. 

I watched a ted talk on algerythms which sounds like a dull name but it's actually quite interesting and slightly alarming that the more you do on the internet the less choices you're actually given

Interesting Vid. Suzanna. Thanks.

Good advice. Thanks.

I use DuckDuckGo as well.

Television is doing this as well with the feedback loop that's available.

Welcome Geoge Orwell.

When the telephone first was available that often had 'party lines' where a pair of wires were shared by numerous people along a county lane in the country many were taken back saying that even though they disn't have to answer the line they thought it was an invasion of privacy.

Now  microphones are being advertized to change the televation station. 

A microphone connected to the internet that can hear every word, or noise in the house isn't a good idea. With the power of computing now it's all collected and data mined.

That's very invasive I don't like that at all. It seems like it's all about big buisinesses trying to force us to part with our money.

I recall a movie with Tom Cruise called the Minority Report. Science fiction it had a scene that briefly covered the subject of personalized advertizements.

Published on Sep 14, 2015

Who is listening in on your phone calls? On a landline, it could be anyone, says privacy activist Christopher Soghoian, because surveillance backdoors are built into the phone system by default, to allow governments to listen in. But then again, so could a foreign intelligence service ... or a criminal. Which is why, says Soghoian, some tech companies are resisting governments' call to build the same backdoors into mobile phones and new messaging systems. Learn how some tech companies are working to keep your calls and messages private.

TED Talk about your telephone company.

Published on Jul 24, 2012

http://www.ted.com What kind of data is your cell phone company collecting? Malte Spitz wasn't too worried when he asked his operator in Germany to share information stored about him. Multiple unanswered requests and a lawsuit later, Spitz received 35,830 lines of code -- a detailed, nearly minute-by-minute account of half a year of his life.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Featured speakers have included Al Gore on climate change, Philippe Starck on design, Jill Bolte Taylor on observing her own stroke, Nicholas Negroponte on One Laptop per Child, Jane Goodall on chimpanzees, Bill Gates on malaria and mosquitoes, Pattie Maes on the "Sixth Sense" wearable tech, and "Lost" producer JJ Abrams on the allure of mystery. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, development and the arts. Closed captions and translated subtitles in a variety of languages are now available on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/translate

If you have questions or comments about this or other TED videos, please go to http://support.ted.com

There was some discussion about providing monetary rewards to people who provided information. I cancelled my facebook account because it was using my profile for advertizements among other reasons.

In the U.S. the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) has a "Do not call" list one can sign up for. It doesn't work well. I've filed several complaints with them for unwanted telephone solicitors.  I've gotten to the point where I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the persons voice, or know the telephone number of the person calling.  Even knowing the telephone number of the person calling is ineffective using caller ID because that has been hacked so a caller can imitate another telephone number.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service