Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Doone commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral | Fungus
"Leviathan melvillei is a giant extinct whale that hunted other whales & had the largest teeth…"
41 minutes ago
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Kant have Organized Religion
"Now some people think God really looks like this.  "
45 minutes ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Kant have Organized Religion
""What God actually looks Like" Shiver Shiver "
1 hour ago
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Kant have Organized Religion
"What God actually looks Like "
3 hours ago
Doone commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral | Fungus
"The exquisite sea urchin."
3 hours ago
Davy commented on Doone's group World History before that Idiot Took Power
"Two very interesting maps Doone."
3 hours ago
Davy commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"That one with the seven dwarfs is a good one Stephen and that tune was being sung since the early…"
3 hours ago
Davy commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break without any Mention of that Idiot
"Post Scriptum No long should read No longer"
4 hours ago
Davy commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break without any Mention of that Idiot
"I see poor old Tassie is misshapen and I be a wondering where the land of the long white cloud…"
4 hours ago
Davy commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a vain, cowardly, lying, vulgar, jabbering blowhard not a Man Scump News
"This one is on obesity rates for countries. Notice that some of the countries that have a high life…"
4 hours ago
Davy commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a vain, cowardly, lying, vulgar, jabbering blowhard not a Man Scump News
"Just happen across this and the following vids on YouTube Take a gander at them and learn."
4 hours ago
Doone commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral | Fungus or Burgeoning Cockwombles
"The earliest archaeological evidence for parrots in England comes from a pit dated to the 17th…"
4 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group World History before that Idiot Took Power
"Interesting Map of European Languages  The majority of European nations speak a language…"
4 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a vain, cowardly, lying, vulgar, jabbering blowhard not a Man Scump News
"Isn't Brexit going to ruin the wealth banana of Western Europe? Quora - The “north…"
4 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
9 hours ago
"Scump stupidly orders the reopening of the churches because that's such an essential event."
9 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a vain, cowardly, lying, vulgar, jabbering blowhard not a Man Scump News
"Scump may go down as the worst Amercian ever "Worst health crisis in a century. Worst…"
12 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group World History before that Idiot Took Power
"Etymological map shows the spread of the Proto-Indo-European word for 'brother' across…"
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"There is nothing wrong with a mask...& there are a lot of fun, cute, pretty, plain, &…"
20 hours ago
20 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

I started doing hospice volunteering over thirty years ago.

I wrote an essay to use for training of new volunteers (attached)

Like me, I knew they had to be prepared to deal with folks with widely varying belief systems. If they had only one thing in common, they would all die.

When we were born, it was as if we entered this life through the open outer door of a flying airplane. We have no parachute. This metaphor can be expanded in numerous ways but for now, we will focus only on this life and the three choices we have for however long it may last.

1. We could disregard the inevitable and close our eyes. Avoidance may seem to provide peace but will thwart our view of the beautiful scenery on our journey to the splat.
  2. We could flail and cry with fear. Again, missing the scenery.
  3. Our third choice is to relax and enjoy each day, each minute of our life.

It is not the intent of this article to even begin to scratch the surface of the infinitely complex discussion of where we came from and where or if we will go somewhere after this earthly experience.

After reading my essay I would appreciate frank feedback as to how this could be improved. I want to make sure these volunteers we train are able to work with everyone who is falling regardless of their beliefs about how the fall started or what may happen after it ends.

thankis

Views: 117

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And, as she looked around, she saw how Death, the consoler,

Laying his hand upon many a heart, had healed it forever.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow—Evangeline. – Pt. II.

Fingered Moon
I personally I found that it was informative in relation to the work were I looking at taking the position.

In your last paragraph it may be good to place an example in there.

An example of the situation where communication has broken down and the remedy to get the communication going again. Pointing out that each circumstance is unique to the people involved.
This then allows the person to have a better idea in regards to the relevance of communication is in that position.

Lastly I will leave you a quote from Emerson as it does pertain to why a lot of people fear death.

Fear always springs from ignorance. - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 – 1882)

We are very ignorant of  what death exactly entails for us when we die. People are fearful of the times when their loved one is no longer a physical being and only exists in our memories of them. There then comes a void in their life since their loved one is no longer there to fill. A void that only time can slowly fill.

Ah! How sleeps brother confounds mortal man.

Davy. Sleeps brother where did that term come from?

Don't you read your poetry from the age of enlightenment. They mention that expression every so often.

Ok Davy. Truly scolded 

This is just one mention of him from Percy others also mention the phrase.

How wonderful is Death,

Death and his brother Sleep

One, pale as yonder waning moon,

With lips of lurid blue

The other,rosy as the morn,

When, throned on ocean’s wave,

It blushes o’er the world

Yet both so passing wonderful.

Percy Bysshe Shelley.

I should have known, what with Percy Shelley and Lord Byron being big Ol Atheists. Hahaha 

In fact Percy got turfed out of Oxford for writing a pamphlet advocating atheism.

Yeah, I have his pamphlet somewhere, on my old phone, I think.

There is a book of the same title as Percy's short pamphlet by Dr. D M Brooks. It is a book i highly recommend for one looking for lockdown reading.

Necessity%20of%20Atheism.epub

There is a book of the same title as Percy's short pamphlet by Dr. D M Brooks. It is a book i highly recommend for one looking for lockdown reading.

Necessity%20of%20Atheism.epub

RSS

© 2020   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service