Feedback and Notes

Due to Ning (our Web hosting company) being bought recently from the ashes of Mode Media we often experience 500 connection errors. Our apologies but these errors are out of our control. Hopefully, this will improve as the new company gains experience. Regards, AU

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

To pursue on a thread derailment started by me HERE, about my doubts on the existence of a "core self" that experiences the universe subjectively, here's an interesting talk that describes better that I could the point I was trying to make:

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The other thought is that on many occasions we seem to be talking past each other - allmost in an eagerness to get them out - but we are not talking past each other, we are creating the harmonics of a comprehensive world view that we are trying to drag out of disparate experiences. Good luck to all of you -- and to me. Later

I like Julian Baggini. Clearly, what he says makes sense, there is no little part of my brain where "little Adriana" exists, and she was there when I was born. There is a specific body and a brain that belongs to me, but there is no "essence" to me; that "essence" is indeed the collection of my experiences and how those constantly interact with the physical me, and that has of course changed throughout the years. Consciousness works as a narrative, so I do recognize myself in the child, the adolescent, etc., that I was, and there is continuity of memories, but for sure I have changed, physically and mentally. However, having this idea of self is a very clever tricky the brain pulls so that we can preserve ourselves, survive, and reproduce, etc.

I have experienced the sense of an homunculus inside my brain, but as a disembodied notion, it has even less reality than my conception of my dog - who if I had the right sensory equipment would look like and electric light show whizzing through a massive amount of space. It bears some resemblance to blood coursing through my body when seen at the microscopic level only at an exponential level.

Michel: It looks like you chose a good topic here - a fair amount of interest generated, and literally years of collected wisdom being communicated in an effort to understand why, where, whither, whence.

By the way, I find little comfort in the notion that my atoms will eventually disippate and mingle with those of Buddha, Jesus, Hitler and Stalin. I would rather have my deceased wife's warm body lying next to me at night than conceptualize her as floating in the ether somewhere unavailable and diffused.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service