Feedback and Notes

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

EDUCATING FEAR

When I was a child, I was the unhappy recipient of a few bee stings. Well, not just a few, I unknowingly managed to disrupt a couple of hives and was chased and stung all the way home. And for a few years, I was very afraid of those buzzing creatures. In school, I learned about the little guys, and guess what? If you don't screw with their home or initiate contact it's unlikely they'll mess with you, they have a job to do.

Now if I'm being buzzed by one of the little guys, I make slow movements to shoo him away or just ignore. Unless you're wearing clothes that look like a field of flowers, you're probably not going to have a problem. I haven't been stung in decades and I am always outside in the little one's territory.

The fear of the unknown is prevalent to some degree with all of us. It is a basic survival instinct, who knows what is waiting for us in the dark, or at the end of an unlit hallway. That fear can help us survive, but it also has significant consequences. This fear stops us from progressing, it stops us from learning and understanding new things. It keeps us close minded.

The fear of the unknown is one of the bedrocks of religion. Fear is what controls the believer. If you are truly a believer there's a plan. A plan that is your life. There is nothing to be afraid of, shit happens and it's meant to happen. Praying will do it all. If you are not educated, the chances of having success in your life are very limited, but who cares. there's a plan just for you. The plan revolves around fear, not understanding.

Religion gives one the feeling that they know something. It gives them faith in the unknown, instead of facts. It reduces intellect to a more basic human feeling, instinct. It gives a social standing that is false, based on hopes and dreams, on conjecture and fantasy. Being a pastor or preacher, etc., comes with a social status that is based on the hopes and dreams of those who do not have access to a real education, or worse, have access but have decided that they know the truth. 

"It's in the "not knowing" that brings us to our knees in prayer, to lift our hands in honor, to surrender our heart with abandon. Then, we start seeing truth. We start to realize that even when we had sight, we were always lost - without Him.

There is power in admitting you are fully lost without Jesus.

Because then, rather than living lost in the abyss of an unknown future, we can start living lost in the awe of a deeply known Savior."

The fear of the unknown is what keeps us from progressing as a species. We are afraid to walk down that hall, to boldly walk into the darkness, to rid ourselves of our baser nature. We cannot understand true morality if we are always afraid. We cannot understand freedom or fellowship, or our own humanity if we fear. For those religions that insist on denying science, there is always fear. The world is not understandable, only God can help you survive.

To be a non-believer, you must accept that life ends and that end is wrapped in uncertainty. Disease, accident, old age, whatever it is, you know it is coming. There is no conjurer with a magic wand that will give you eternal life. That knowledge gives you the incentive to enjoy every moment of what you have. The knowledge that there isn't anything after life may give you the desire to explore and enjoy all that this world has to give. Understanding life allows you to enjoy the momentary unknown because of the pleasure of learning something new.

Some humans will always be stung.

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good write up, Neal!

I was too nosy to blindly accept explanations. I questioned & questioned, & when I caught sh*t for asking too many, I got into reading everything I could get my mitts on!

As for life ending & the uncertainty.....we're in danger right now with wildfires raging in BC, & ready for evacuation if necessary.

Thanks, Mrs. B. I hope you're in a safe place.

A very thought provoking Planet, Neal.  Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed.

To be a non-believer, you must accept that life ends and that end is wrapped in uncertainty. Disease, accident, old age, whatever it is, you know it is coming. There is no conjurer with a magic wand that will give you eternal life. That knowledge gives you the incentive to enjoy every moment of what you have. The knowledge that there isn't anything after life may give you the desire to explore and enjoy all that this world has to give. Understanding life allows you to enjoy the momentary unknown because of the pleasure of learning something new.

I still haven't really figured out how to enjoy every moment, but I enjoy as many as I can. =)

Excellent write up, Neal.

You made me recall my days as a kid chasing bees around. Now that I am older, I know not to disturb them and they will go away.

I was told doubt is the beginning of inquiry. I only wish it was told me early. 

Haha! Glad you learned not to mess with the little guys. =)

Was there a choice my friend. They would sting in the face, anywhere that was open.

But later on, I also learnt to leave them alone 

Keeping with the bee metaphor, those that surrender themselves to their god without question are just like the drones in the bee hive. They seem hardwired into taking certain actions. Hardly free will.

Free will doesn't exist biblically, either you blindly follow and are saved or you ignore and go to hell. Two choices don't appear to embrace free will. 

Bees are docile pollinators.

Fragrance in soap, shampoo, and cloting detergent is more likely to attract bees and mosquitoes than floral patterns of clothing.

Anaphylatic Shock may occur even after being stung many times.  It's a good idea to keep benadryl, or another antihistimine on hand incase of an allergic reaction to a sting.  It may be enough to get you to a hospital.  I found that a raw onion works well to alieviate mild irritation from a sting.

Photo

Exactly.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service