Feedback and Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
5 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
5 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
5 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
6 hours ago
Carolyn Barratt left a comment for Stephen
8 hours ago
Carolyn Barratt left a comment for Stephen
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for william cinkaj
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Lupe Cervantes
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Carolyn Barratt
8 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
10 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
Mrs.B left a comment for Matt Gibson
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
14 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Culture of Ignorance

This week the #MeToo movement apparently empowered a young lady to break her silence and publish her story of assault on a Christian blog. At the age of 17 she was given a ride home by a young gentleman who was 22 that pulled the car over and took advantage of her. This was a full blown attack, not just impropriety. The man’s name was Andy Savage who is a megachurch Pastor at Highpoint Church in Memphis Tennessee. After the publication, Pastor Andy sat in front of his congregation and confessed that the story was true. This was incredibly met by cheers and a standing ovation.

Regardless of anything else that will be said here, this in itself is an example of the insanity that religion brings to the believers. Instead of instant condemnation, he is washed in praise for the revelation of a crime that he committed. Although rehabilitation for those who have committed a crime is a real thing, at least in other countries, and Andy can and should be helped, how does this happen when he walks off a stage a hero? Pastor Andy is now on a leave of absence, and I guess is punishing himself. The Sacrament of Penance is a Catholic thing, but all Christians practice some form of asking their God to forgive them of their sins. Whether straight to God, or through Jesus, they restore their bond with the community and with God. They are free of the sins as if it never happened. Life is good, no problems, I’m all better now.

Crimes occur in every faith. Whatever the religion is that is practiced does not make a human a moral person, it hides the beast that resides in us. We are animals that have learned to work with others, but we will never be perfect. Yet the faithful believe they are moral. They believe they have a contract with God that allows them to be forgiven for whatever they might do. When someone states they are a Christian, Muslim, Jew, etc., what they are implying is that they trustworthy and moral. They are implying they are upstanding members of the community. They are wearing this invisible badge of goodness, so with zero humility, they must let you know. They stand on a pedestal overlooking the unbelievers believing they are above ye of no faith. It is an instilled arrogance that religion gives the follower, an arrogance that they are the chosen and, for some, puts them above the laws of man.

Gods never change, but man does. As we seek to better our tendencies to harm, God holds us back. As we progress in our nature to accept those who are different, God holds us back. As man’s laws become more compassionate to help those in need, God holds us back. As science reveals new data that shapes who we are and what we may become, God holds us back. Although these are encompassing statements, it is easy to fill in the blanks. The battles over women’s health, the horrid conditions that send humans flying from their ancestral home to find sanctuary somewhere anywhere. Look around at the unrest in the world and in our everyday life and know that if not all God’s doing, it definitely plays an important role.

Christianity has been shaped by men of good will and by authoritarians. It is illogical, yet understandably appealing to humans who need order out of chaos. Christianity is a culture of ignorance that left unchecked will forever cause us pain and suffering. 

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great discussion, Neal.  I love this especially 

Christianity has been shaped by men of good will and by authoritarians. It is illogical, yet understandably appealing to humans who need order out of chaos. Christianity is a culture of ignorance that left unchecked will forever cause us pain and suffering. 

Thanks Doone.

Good and timely post Neal.

I'm a big supporter of the #metoo movement I just hope it will change things for the better.

Each day a new accusation is made in the media and the person accused either admits or denies it, but invariably the person is sacked from their job. I'm beginning to get a bit worried that in no case so far has due process been started both for the prosecution of the guilty and the protection of the innocent. 

Stephen, governments are required to provide due process of law; people are not.

Who wants due process more than perpetrators?

Yes, all is forgiven in confessing, but meanwhile the victims get to live with emotional issues for the rest of their lives.

The perpetrators get off scot free, & are admired for their ''honesty''.

Agreed Mrs.B. That's why the guilty should be prosecuted not just accused.

Oh, the religious are above he law, dontcha know!

At first I had this titled "Culture of evil," but I don't think that people are necessarily evil because of faith - I know good people of faith that wouldn't hurt a fly and don't proselytize. They're not protesting abortions, they don't care about sexual orientation, they leave people alone and do their own thing. Still, If you're teaching creation, you are continuing to promote ignorance. If you spread religion, you allow - for example - killing doctors and bombing Planned Parenthood clinics. You promote misogyny and bigotry. You basically screw everything up. If you're religious or promote it, you should never be allowed to govern.

Trudeau is catholic, but we seldom hear about it.

Our leaders generally keep their religions in the background, but I notice some now are trying to bring it to the forefront.

Blair only told us he was a Catholic when he stepped down from office, it's only now I wonder if his decisions weren't influenced by his faith.

Didn't he recently become catholic because his wife is?

No, he openly converted to Catholicism after he stepped down as prime minister he and his with went to the Vatican to see the pope and convert in public.    

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service