Feedback and Notes

No Gods or Scumps Allowed

Latest Activity

Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Stephen how could your countrymen and women vote in Borass as you so adoringly call him? Is there…"
10 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Thomas Hunscher
"Happy Birthday Thomas, Have a great day"
16 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Theresa Kappos
16 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Alexandria Guerrero
"Happy birthday Alexandria. Have a great day"
16 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Bruce W Hammond
"Happy birthday Bruce. Have a great day."
16 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Why am I not surprised."
yesterday
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"There's been rioting outside Downing Street tonight "
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"I guess it's bottom of the barrel scrapings for politicians these days."
yesterday
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
yesterday
Stephen left a comment for Chrissy Mein
"Happy Birthday Chrissy! Have a great day"
yesterday
"That 5 years will take forever......."
yesterday
"Oh for crying out loud five years of Borass in number 10. Where is a British Lee Harvey Oswald…"
yesterday
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Done. Your friend is right. That's how I see the USofA. It seems that middle America has…"
Thursday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahaha...."
Thursday
Doone commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"From Twitter  An old uni friend send me this map saying "This is definitely how I see the…"
Thursday
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"Criminals, the lot of 'em. Why don't they sell off some of their artwork if they're…"
Thursday
"Well if that's love, I'll stay to myself."
Thursday
Thursday
"Oops"
Thursday
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"The Vatican is using donations for the poor to fight its budget deficit, report says As little as…"
Thursday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving this year,

or, as the Native Americans call it, "Immigration Day".

Are you hosting or guesting?

Are you looking forward to it,

or dreading it?

Who will be there, what recipe will you be cooking?

Views: 153

Replies to This Discussion

ah, that sounds like the type of Thanksgivings i used to have, when i lived far away from here...no relatives around.  I used to host, and filled the table with friends instead of relatives,

and even brought in a few ppl who i knew had nowhere else to be. 

HOPE YOU HAVE A BLAST! i love some sambuca!  Your menu sounds marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, there are some relatives whom we do miss and we wish we could be with them, but they are not American so Thanksgiving does not mean anything to them anyway. I didn't mean to imply all relatives are troublesome. Though some sure are.

Adriana, can I come - Please!   haha  What a great menu.  It's only going to be Allegra and I, and our non-human members of the family sharing a meal.  I did invite some friends and neighbors but all were booked to be with their families. 

My menu plans are small and sweet. 

*Mixed salad

*Mushroom Soup

*Homemade Cranberry Sauce

*Chestnut Stuffing with gravy

*Vegan Celebration Roast (can you believe I found this one at my local grocery store - Wegmans, they were out at the Green Grocer)

*Roasted Root Veggies

*Either Stuffed Peppers or some other grain and veggie dish (???)

*Homemade Pumpkin Pie

Anyone is invited, or welcome to join us for leftovers!

By all means, Sydni, drive on down here! We'd be happy to have you!

Can you share your recipe for mushroom soup? And homemade pumpkin pie?

Your menu sounds fabulous too!

Here is my soup recipe.  I was very pleased, easy and so tasty.  As far as my Pumpkin Pie recipe, I'm taking it off the organic can of pumpkin label... (sheesh)   Anyone have a great pumpkin pie recipe to share????

Wild Mushroom Soup

Servings: Serves 6–8
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UIXOn06Pz70/SAo5qMjbLsI/AAAAAAAACyc/tCA5CxgVQe8/s800/Cream+of+Mushroom+Soup+500.jpg

Ingredients

Wild Mushroom Soup

• 2 ounces dried cèpes , morels, or chanterelles
  • 1/4 cup Madeira wine
  • 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
  • 2 pounds fresh mushrooms
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
  • 4 cups mushroom or vegetarian stock
  • 1 pint heavy cream or half & half (optional)

Directions

Rinse the dried mushrooms well in a sieve under cold running water and soak them in the wine for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over low heat. Add the onions and cook, covered, over low heat until they are tender and lightly colored, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

Trim the stems from the fresh mushrooms and save for another use. Wipe the caps with a damp cloth and slice thin. Add the caps to the soup pot, season with salt and pepper and cook over low heat, uncovered, stirring frequently, 15 minutes.

Carefully lift the mushrooms from the bowl with a slotted spoon and transfer to the soup pot. Let the wine settle a moment and then pour it carefully into the soup pot, leaving the sediment behind.

Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the dried mushrooms are very tender, 45 minutes.

Strain the soup and transfer the solids to a food processor. Add 1 cup of the liquid and purée until very smooth.

Return the purée to the soup pot along with the remaining liquid and set over medium heat. Taste, correct the seasoning and thin the soup slightly with heavy cream if it seems too thick. Heat until steaming and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8 portions
* I didn't have any dried mushrooms I used half Baby Bella (Crimini) and half white cap, but didn't soak them in the Madeira wine.  But I'd like to try it that way.
** Used organic mushroom broth which added  to the flavor!
*** Didn't blend all the mushrooms, I like to have some tidbits to chew.

http://www.oprah.com/own-anna-kristina-grocery-bag/Wild-Mushroom-So...

Great menu, Sydni, i'm sure i'd rather be at your table, than where i am going to be....

HOPE YOU AND ADRIANA DO GET TOGETHER, that'd be great for both of you.

I am making that decision today. Jo wants me to spend both upcoming holidays with her family. Screw that. They are uptight, straight laced or whatever other term you'd like, people. They are all very polite, nice people.

But here's the problem.

1. I get tired of the everyone hold hands and pray crap. I do it because I have no need to mess with my 85 year old in-laws. Happily they do try to accomplish that task while I'm out of the room. Minor nuisance.

2. The one hosting the holiday dinner is a recovering alcoholic, no vino with my dinner.

3. No football.

4. Though I appreciate their work putting this all together, they really can't cook. There's no seasoning, no flavor; everything is bland. When I would still eat meat, eating theirs was a task. Damn rubber bird. Last couple of times I have been there they made a vegetarian dish, not very good.

Cooking for the holidays is what I do. Last year drove to my brother's and cooked for all. The year before my sister's and cooked for all. 

I'd rather cook myself a vegan feast, open a bottle of wine, watch football; much more fun.

lol, Neal, you are going to same place i'm going??? ha ha! I will look for you there!

i don't care a fig about football, and i do think there is a game on in one of the rooms, but, otherwise, your inlaws sound just like mine!!  Except we do get wine if we want (or NEED some).

Neal, bring a flask.  they've even invented flasks which look like cell phones, lol.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305811_220469774684492_197693266962143_668047_1665282933_n.jpg

now there's a good stuffing mix idea!  rofl!

we who are not cooks could go for airial spraying of prozac...lol.

Wouldn't it be SO NICE if next year we all made plans to meet and share Thanksgiving together!!!  Now I would definitely drive out for an A/U gathering for sure.  We'd have to make sure to plan ahead, make a date, choose a reasonable location and let Neil have dominion in the kitchen - haha.... 

I'll be sure to stock up on our local wines from the Finger Lakes for all of us to enjoy, they're quite good!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service