Feedback and Notes

No Gods or Scumps Allowed

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"Criminals, the lot of 'em. Why don't they sell off some of their artwork if they're…"
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Well if that's love, I'll stay to myself."
1 hour ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
3 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Oops"
3 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"The Vatican is using donations for the poor to fight its budget deficit, report says As little as…"
3 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"They are so hateful in the name of love. it is confusing to say the least"
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"They are so hateful."
17 hours ago
"Toronto shuts doors to anti-gay hate preacher David LynnPASTOR David Lynn, a vocal campaigner…"
17 hours ago
Stephen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"Why Does Enceladus Have Stripes at its South Pole? Saturn’s moon Enceladus has captivating…"
18 hours ago
Stephen commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Two Yanks at Stamford Bridge Chelsea's football stadium.  Christian Mate Pulisic is an…"
yesterday
"Second Lib Dem election candidate endorses vote for Labour rival for his seat on day before…"
yesterday
"Onyango. I've always thought we were different from our cousins in the USofA but I've…"
yesterday
Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"In 2 days, Stephen, we will know whether your country folk are a different breed from your friends…"
yesterday
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
"The formation of human populations in South and Central Asia…"
yesterday
"He's been through a lot."
yesterday
"103 and not out. Happy birthday Kirk."
Tuesday
"Just two more days to save Britain from Borass, Scump MkII. Look I know I'm an Atheist…"
Tuesday
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Early Scumpians "
Tuesday
Davy commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"The Universe is very complex  I wonder if the Universe is the large scale version of the…"
Tuesday
Stephen left a comment for Christine
"Heureux anniversaire.  bonne fête"
Tuesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving this year,

or, as the Native Americans call it, "Immigration Day".

Are you hosting or guesting?

Are you looking forward to it,

or dreading it?

Who will be there, what recipe will you be cooking?

Views: 153

Replies to This Discussion

I'm being a guest, at my inlaws.  I bring zero recipe, as they always act completly baffled whatever i bring.  You name it, i've tried bringing that, no one eats it.  so i bring a bottle of wine instead., although only a few actually drink.

I'm suddenly, oddly, feeling a sense of dread to show up there...i don't want to go this year.  These ppl are nice enough, and have some admirable qualities,

but, the bulk of them are stuffy, repressed, very conservative, and don't seem real fond of me.  It's a fairly formal deal, and always a subtle, faint undercurrent of tension here or there amongst them, but, i'm never sure what it is about.

There are a few 'good' ones in there, lively funny fun-loving ppl, but, they are greatly outnumbered.  I even know there is one secret atheist in the group,(besides me and Craig who are out atheists)

lol, even though the secret atheist leads the family in prayer every year, haha.  but, he's told me he is one of us.

(atheism is not brought up, and politics is not often brought up, except by the elders after they've had a wine, they start bashing Obama, but, they are elders, so they kinda get a pass, i walk away usually).

My guy insists i go along, he wants me to go, (it's HIS ppl)and he would feel weird if i wasn't there,

but,

i really don't want to go. 

I will probably go, and have good time, but, right now, i'm suddenly filled with dread...don't want to go...guess i am just whining, many ppl would be so lucky to go to such a fine meal.  I guess i should get into the spirit of THANKSgiving, and be thankful for what i've got., and focus more on the bright side of things....

see, it's times like these, where being super healthy person is drawback, cuz i am just never ever sick....so if i pretend i am sick, they will all know it's not real.

dang.

hope this urge in me to dodge the whole event passes.

cuz, probably, i will go,

and have good time to a passably decent time....

and i will have spent all this time playing with inner angst for nothing....

i guess i will go take a walk, that will probably improve my mood.

okay, now i think i am being a fool to waste time being full of a vague sense of dread about Immigration Day feast at my inlaws.

look at me, carrying on about having a nice meal with some ppl i would not normally gravitate towards.

big effin deal, it's one day.. wah, poor me, having to eat a fine meal in a safe home,with zero gunfire nor threat of death, and food as far as the eye can see, etc etc.

okay, i'm over myself now. 

.......however, knowing myself, i very well might be back again tomorrow, re-posting again

how i am not stoked about Immigration Day feast at my inlaws..........rofl.  i am slow learner sometimes....

lol, i was right, here i am again today, beating down "i don't wanna go..." feelings

all over again, from scratch!

ha.okay, the feelings are not as severe as yesterday's, but, poof! there they are all over again!!  "i don't wanna go......i don't wanna go......" rofl.

i'm telling myself, "it's just one (1) day...it's just one (1) day..." ha ha!

i knew i wasn't completly cured...yet.  i guess i need to re-read my own self-flagellating post one more time, on how i am being a whiner to carry on about having a nice meal in a safe home..at least my daughter will also be there, some years, she has had to work, but not this year, YAY!!

so there's a good thing, she is a party in a bag.

well, i was right,

i had a good time despite my pre-inlaw angst.

I did manage to shovel food while some aunts ragged on how unions are the cause of the economic downfall of the US economy, many others chimed in, also blaming Pelosi as root of the whole problem (?)

not pointing out to them (would have been useless waste of breath) that only a small % of US factories are unionized, and in our heyday of great production, there were far more unions then, and how Wall Street is not unionized, yet holds much of the blame, etc etc.

etc etc. on and on, i finally brought up some new topic, to move them off of politics.  (is no point to try to illuminate an older Faux News veiwer).

and i ended up in a room with the few 'cool' ones, and had a great conversations with them, laughed really hard several times. was good time.

and i thanked my inlaws as i left, telling them they are among ppl i count myself as thankful for.

someone remind me next year, when i go through my pre-thanksgiving angst, that it WILL be okay after all, lol!

I'll remind you next year! i promise! I'm putting it on my calendar :-)

Glad you had a good time!

//"I'll remind you next year! i promise!

I'm putting it on my calendar :-)"//

i KNOW me, and i know, i will do this whooole thing again next November, lol!  Plz help me remember it will be fine, i will live through it! rofl...i'm such a whiner prolonged contact with very stuffy republicans.......sigh.

oddly, my mominlaw, did not want to say the pre-dinner prayer,

as is their usual custom.

It is a prayer written by some great grandmother, that is read each year, (usually read aloud by one relative i know to be a closet atheist, lol!)

I even encouraged my mominlaw to do their prayer,----it really doesn't bother me in the least, i think of it more as an homage to the now deceased great grandmother.........

Craig and i always just stand and wait, we've never ever ever said one word, nor indicated any annoyance whatsoever, none, but THIS year my mominlaw joined Facebook and fully realizes, after seeing my page, that i really AM an athiest, it was "not a phase", lol...

I said to her, "Oh, go on, it is your tradition.  It's your dinner, you all enjoy that prayer, go for it.  No one minds a bit, it's your custom to read the great grandmother's prayer."

but, she didn't, but, she seemed vaguely annoyed for a lil while. (another reason i DID want her to read it, so she would NOT feel a wave of annoyance, when in fact, no one really cares.)

*sigh*

Fifteen minutes before Jo left to visit family I jumped in the shower and went. The food was barely passable as usual, but I do appreciate the work it takes to put out a large meal. I was in the den watching football with a couple of family members when we got the word it was time for dinner. I got up, hit the can and cleaned up, and the praying was done by the time I got to the table.

Like JM, I finally allowed that side of the family to friend me on FB this year. (I ignored for a long time). I do have atheist down as well, so maybe they're not including me anymore in the praying. I've missed a handful of these lately so I think they do it whenever I am missing for the moment.

Hell, I've never insulted them by laughing. =)

Cool. Now I'm going to have to stick around when that time is getting close just to see if they skip the prayer. Maybe they'll look at each other in confusion, not knowing what to do.

Fun. 

OH NEAL, if you DO decide to investigate, and hang around during pre-meal festivities at the tableside---------DO KEEP ME POSTED!!  Maybe wear a lil mini-cam somewhere, and post the video.  hee hee. 

Yes, facebook has changed some-to-many of my relationships...sigh.  guess you'll have that.  It's strengthened some with ppl who share my views,

and seemed to gnaw on some even long-tern friendships who apparently did realize how very atheist and liberal i really am.  Well, eveyrone knows i am liberal,

but, my atheism only comes up if someone else brings up religions.  Still, it's surprising, how many ppl who DID previously know i am atheist,

not all ppl,

but some ppl,

somehow, came to really believe i meant it,

when they saw my FB page...odd my spoken word didn't seem to cause them to believe me as much as seeing it on FB.....weird.

We will be hosting. It'll be the 4 of us plus 2 friends. I've always loved Thanksgiving. We have no in-laws or other "nuisance" relatives in this country, it's always our nuclear family plus a few friends, so pleasurable. We all cook together so it's fun. We're having a vegetarian menu. I'm not 100% decided yet, but we'll have homemade squash filled ravioli, plus some kind of potato and sweet potato dish (probably lemon potatoes and roasted sweet potatoes, plus a vegetarian couscous with chick peas, zucchini, etc., a vegan Celebration Roast from Field Roast with homemade cranberry sauce. I'm thinking of a mushroom-based dish, but haven't decided which yet. We will have a huge salad as usual: this year we're going for panzanella. Not sure yet about dessert, but we'll make French apple tart and probably buy pumpkin pie and pecan pie.

There will be plenty of red wine, and a little sambuca for the after dinner espresso!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service