Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

Latest Activity

Kate Thompson posted a blog post
4 hours ago
Kate Thompson updated their profile
4 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
5 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group World History
7 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Paulina Barrientos
7 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Harold E. Rice
7 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Dee
7 hours ago
Stephen commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
7 hours ago
Stephen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
7 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
8 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
8 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group World History
8 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
8 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
8 hours ago
Joey Daniel Smith replied to Chris's discussion Death by religious upbringing
9 hours ago
Joey Daniel Smith replied to Chris's discussion Death by religious upbringing
10 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Evidence? For what?

For his claim early in Chapter One of his Astrophysics for People in a Hurry that “nearly 14 billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.”

Now don’t get me wrong. Neil is a nice guy and the videos he’s in are fun to view. And in a post below I will tell you a reason to cut him some slack, but we here at AU have a label we put on the act of believing without evidence. We call it faith.

Neil’s claim is extraordinary, and you know what kind of evidence such claims require. Don’t pause your breathing until he produces it, but do put a little heat on him.

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since no one was around at the beginning of the universe, all that can be done is deduce how everything started. 

Ethan explains the thought clearly: https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/ask-ethan-how-do-we-know-the-...

I have no idea what happened at the beginning of the universe but as theories go the big bang theory is a well-supported hypothesis. But it's not the only one. Just follow the science.

Stephen, please do follow the science, not the Big Bang faith whose “support” is imaginary.

To Ethan,

“If the red shifts are a Doppler shift . . . the observations as they stand lead to the anomaly of a closed universe, curiously small and dense, and, it may be added, suspiciously young.

“On the other hand, if red shifts are not Doppler effects, these anomalies disappear and the region observed appears as a small, homogeneous, but insignificant portion of a universe extended indefinitely in both space and time.“

— Edwin Hubble, 1937 Royal Astronomical Society Monthly Notices

from HoloscienceArchive dot pdf page 43

Gravity cosmology is a realm of mathematicians alone and has lost touch with physical reality.
Plasma cosmology is a realm of electrical engineers and is verifiable by experiment.

The point is, no matter what deduction you may find valid, or at least interesting, we know it isn't some dipshit god. =)

Right, Neal; there’s no dipshit god.

There are, however, many human demigods who here in the US of A are spending billions of taxpayers’ dollars in failed searches for evidence. They deny money to physicists who question their Big Bang religion.

Taxpayers in other nations paid for the LHC, the Large Hadron Collider in Europe, history’s most expensive (pseudo)scientific experiment. In the 1980s, the US Congress cut funding for the Super Conducting Super Collider in Texas. It would have been six times more powerful than the LHC and cost more than six times as much.

To learn more, visit www.newtoeu.com and download the free PDF.

There is no dipshit god.

People who don’t understand, science may be stuck with a deism to define god - though I found that most religionists don’t even know what deism is.

There has been a collision between science and religion since the enlightenment.

It’s shameful the collider wasn’t built in Texas. I recall there was talk about building it under Davis California (U.S.A) as well. At least the LHC was built in Europe with American support and funding.

The Higgs boson was discovered. Unfortunately it was called the “God Particle” I blame that on superficial news media.

Its great that LIGO was built in Hanford Washington (U.S.A.) and Livingston Louisiana (U.S.A) along with Virgo near Pisa Italy. They were able to measure gravitational waves.
https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/page/press-release-gw170817

Understanding gravity may be more important to understanding the universe than electromagnetic fields.

Chris, YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND ASTROSCIENCE.

You first three paragraphs above are valid.

Your last four paragraphs above are about the Big Bang. It and religion lack evidence.

Of course I don't. I don't like therotical physicisicits who play the media either.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service