Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

Latest Activity

Steven Richards left a comment for Stephen
59 minutes ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
2 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
2 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
3 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Steven Richards
3 hours ago
Steven Richards left a comment for Stephen
7 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
7 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Wesley Sherman
7 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Steven Richards
7 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Nathan Hevenstone
7 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for jcak
8 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Gabe Om
8 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
8 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
8 hours ago
Stephen commented on Neil Weightman's group Books
14 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
Chris commented on Julien's group The Music Box
22 hours ago
Chris commented on Julien's group The Music Box
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Stephen Hawking makes it clear: There is no God

If I were a scientist, I'd stick to the Goldman Sachs principle: bet on both sides.

"Believe in science, believe in God" seems to cover all the possibilities and gives you the best chance for a cheery afterlife.

For a time, it was thought that astrophysicist Stephen Hawking had also left a tiny gap in his credo window for a magical deity. However, he has now come out and declared that there is no God.

He gave an interview to Spain's El Mundo in which he expressed his firm belief that el mundo was the work of scientifically explainable phenomena, not of a supreme being.

Hawking said: "Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation."

CNET

Views: 3008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris

As I said, " Let's be thankful for what there is."

Those I have met are interesting enough, sure.

I do not know if I would call the three of us a group. That is all I meant.

Regards

DL

I'm just grateful that there is a group where you can make friends and exchange ideas without those ideas being dumped on but are discussed and looked at. As for arguing with creationists and other believers I've done that ad Infinitum.

Stepen

I have had poor results in trying to persuade Christians that their view of substitutionary punishment is immoral.

Do you agree and what type of argument have you used against that?

Regards

DL

it's very hard to know if you have convinced any believer. But the absence of proof argument seems to hit home the most.  Cheers DL Regards Stephen.

D L I would advise it's not worth you time to try to persuade Chistians, or other religionists

Again my two or three paragraph reply was chopped.

I hear you buddy.

I just wanted to see if you had a better argument than what I have been using.

Regards

DL

The ancient Indians - the Hindus had already accepted, long before the endlessly waffling Greeks that the gods were themselves part of a cosmic illusion. behind that prana - energy and behind that the void. it caused no ruckus. it was philosophically welcomed. along with all other viewpoints as well. atheism was a part of philosophical inquiry. even their supreme god brahma is not that important to them. he started the universe but having done that he's of no further use. the other gods and goddesses see to that. if you want to believe this. it is not dogma.

as far as the monotheistic god, well that is so ludicrous it is not even worth explaining why this concept is impossible in this universe in the first place. but the convolutions its believers conjure is worthy of monty python's most delusional desperation to explain the impossible.

A realist. Good. Stay that way.

I did not post this O.P. here but you might see what I see.

It was addressed to the more religiously inclined but shows how the Eastern religions are better than the Western versions who adore Yahweh/Allah so as to try to make Western idol worshiping theists think. 

------------

Have you leaned what Jesus and your bible teaches?

The Bible teaches one to start a spiritual journey from the bottom, i.e. from a stage where he must consider himself as a born sinner and starts his journey upwards from there. One reaches the second stage when he realises that he is the son and God is his father. The final realisation is when he realises that he and the Father are one.

This is similar to the spiritual journey of a Hindu who starts his journey from the Dwait stage, where he thinks himself and God to be two distinct entities, graduates to Vishishta Adwait, a stage where he thinks himself a fragment/fraction of Him and finally reached to the Adwait stage where he merges himself with that infinite consciousness.

Stevan Davies. The savior is not a celestial being brought to earth; the savior is a capacity of the mind, and the savior’s journey from above is actually one’s own journey from within.

John Lennon. It seems to me that the only true Christians were the Gnostics, who believed in self-knowledge, I.E. becoming Gods themselves, reaching the Christ within, the light is the truth. Turn on the light. All the better to see you my dear.

John 6 ; 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

I think Jesus hated the idol worshipers of the traditional supernatural based religions and wanted to put us on a better and more naturalistic Gnostic Christian path of seeking knowledge and wisdom through Gnosis; that being a deeper knowledge of the self and others.

Do you agree?

Regards

DL

Joeh

Surely you have a more intelligent view than just looking at the vast majority of people who claim a God and just naming them all insane.

What is happening to those people that will have them accept their preachers lies as truth?

Are they insane before they are lied to or after?

Do they seek to be lied to?

To just say they are insane shows that you have not really looked into the problem of religions.

Regards

DL

Thankfully we live in a Democracy and I've never met an Atheist who advocates locking up preachers. Religion is irrational but there are many reasons why people are religious.

Stephen, religion is irrational and it’s a swindle.

It has so many victims who vote that politicians will not soon make it illegal.

I don't like the theoretical physicist Hawking who believed in and promoted the big bang theory and singularity.

I spoke with a friend who is a physisist he said the red shift Hubble saw was simply because the solar system we are in is a gravity well.  The gravity well streatches light  making the light waves longer - thus red shifted.

He also said the universe is in chaiotic equilebrium.

Simple explination.

That makes sense.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service