Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

Latest Activity

Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
2 hours ago
May the Big Bang RIP replied to JeanMarie's discussion Who is your guess as our candidate for 2020? in the group Progressive Atheists
3 hours ago
May the Big Bang RIP replied to JeanMarie's discussion Who is your guess as our candidate for 2020? in the group Progressive Atheists
3 hours ago
May the Big Bang RIP added a discussion to the group Republican Atheists
3 hours ago
Lauren Ell commented on Lauren Ell's group Republican Atheists
5 hours ago
May the Big Bang RIP commented on Lauren Ell's group Republican Atheists
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
May the Big Bang RIP replied to Lauren Ell's discussion Texas district flips to red after 139 years of being blue in the group Republican Atheists
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
Lauren Ell replied to Lauren Ell's discussion Texas district flips to red after 139 years of being blue in the group Republican Atheists
6 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Sarah Smith
6 hours ago
Sarah Smith is now a member of Atheist Universe
6 hours ago
Stephen replied to Lauren Ell's discussion Texas district flips to red after 139 years of being blue in the group Republican Atheists
6 hours ago
Stephen replied to Lauren Ell's discussion Texas district flips to red after 139 years of being blue in the group Republican Atheists
6 hours ago
8 hours ago
Lauren Ell added a discussion to the group Republican Atheists
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Stephen commented on JeanMarie's status
11 hours ago
Stephen replied to JeanMarie's discussion Who is your guess as our candidate for 2020? in the group Progressive Atheists
11 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

“Once a Catholic, always a Catholic” or “Don’t toss the baby with the bath water.” How would you reply?

A man who has tried several times to quit Catholicism, but each time returned, gave me the first of those lines. i had quit in 1957 and told him I’d never heard that but had often heard “Once a priest, always a priest.”

He and I joke a lot but he repeated the line several times and I wanted to even the score. I dug into my memories of what Catholicism had done to me and replied “Once a Catholic, always helpless.”

He stopped using that line. He now occasionally grins and asks when I last confessed my sins. I grin and reply “1957.”

Another man a few weeks ago gave me the baby/bathwater line. He seemed to not hear me say the baby was fatally cancerous and was beyond saving.

Any thoughts?

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know a few Catholic apostates and they wouldn't re-join even if they were offered all the Altar boy's in the Vatican lol.

But seriously its hard to leave the RC Church especially if you were like me indoctrinated from a very early age. Many Catholics don't believe in it anymore but remain cultural Catholics for the sake of their families.

I think that when you're indoctrinated even when you leave there is a residual guilt. I was raised protestant but you are still made to feel guilty for just about everything. Once you become inquisitive, religion doesn't add up.

I was lucky Suzanna my parents couldn't care less about religion but sent me to a church school because it had a good reputation. The nuns who taught us, and I say thaught advisedly were just gross and wicked. It didn't take long for me to see through such mumbo-jumbo. My church and school were supposedly C of E but were in fact high church Anglo Catholics. It had all the bells and whistles of the Roman church but in some ways stricter.

My school didn't appear to be religious, although they had some group who came in to push faith regularly.

I read in the paper my old school was recently getting religious groups in to teach children sex education. It was highlighted and stopped by the new man in charge who said that it wasn't adequate. Unfortunately it's been going on for years so there are probably some people who's lives have been altered because they weren't taught about how to avoid pregnancy and diseases. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service