Feedback and Notes

No Gods

Latest Activity

Lutz posted discussions
5 minutes ago
Lutz replied to Dad the Baker's discussion Non Atheist Discussion
"I used to fast for 36 hrs or 2 days a while back. By day 2 got over the hunger pangs - which really…"
11 minutes ago
Sigil and Stephen are now friends
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Earth, Canada and a Scump Sharpie Affected World News
"Ha!"
3 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Earth, Canada and a Scump Sharpie Affected World News
3 hours ago
Clayton Rhofes posted a blog post

Allah

L.o. fucking l, I officially pulled the trigger on my religion millions of years ago,but now…See More
5 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Earth, Canada and a Scump Sharpie Affected World News
"Excellent poetry!!!"
8 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Earth, Canada and a Scump Sharpie Affected World News
"I do not like you orangey man. I do not like your fake, weird tan. I do not like you in our House I…"
8 hours ago
"Bloody grim."
10 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Earth, Canada and a Scump Sharpie Affected World News
"The NHS has had to provide a service as it was before but with less funding. At the greatest period…"
11 hours ago
"Well our waiting lists have gotten worse, not better, & this has gone on for years. I remember…"
13 hours ago
"Its the same thing here. Shortages, long waiting lists, & many who go into the medical…"
13 hours ago
"Trouble is Mrs B. Nobody is listening to each other, like America, everyone's become so…"
13 hours ago
"Jerkson confronted by the father of a patient. Jerkson acts as if his government is newly elected…"
13 hours ago
"Good on that dad! Hope everyone sees this!!!"
13 hours ago
"Who would have thought Britain would be in this position."
13 hours ago
"Boris Johnson confronted by a furious parent over NHS waiting times during hospital visit Boris…"
13 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"Dad who sexually abused daughters deflects responsibility in a rambling, two-hour speechA man who…"
14 hours ago
"Brexit: Boris Johnson slammed as 'father of lies' in the Supreme Court Boris Johnson was…"
14 hours ago
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
"Rebuilding the skull of the "first modern human". #Africa Transformation and…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Morality doesn’t come from religion.

by Don Lacey on Jan. 14, 2013, under Christian Self-Righteous ArroganceChristianityCritical ThinkingEthics,FaithFreethoughtFundamentalismGod & BibleHistory,LogicReligionScience

Here’s a blog submission, from Jason Adelstein:

Regardless of what you think of his answers, scientist and author Jared Diamond poses some of the most interesting questions around. I often disagree with his answers, or find them incomplete, but he gets you to think about things that you might not otherwise think about, which is a virtue in its own right.

In this article:

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/13/jared_diamond_its_irrational_to_be_...

Diamond poses the question: why are religious supernatural beliefs highly pervasive, mutually incompatible, yet sharing in certain commonalities the world over?

Diamond’s answer seems to be that such irrational beliefs persist because they are overtly absurd enough and distinct enough that espousing them serves a reliable indicator of group loyalty, but they are also close enough to everyday experience to gratify human emotions.

Diamond’s on to something, but maybe missing something too.

We’ve spoken at length on this blog about how morality, while it is an indispensable component of human life, does not come from religion even for the most devout of religious believers. The Bible, for example, advocates a lot of horribly immoral things!

Moral questions are often difficult ones, and the knowledge of how to answer moral questions has been hard won by human civilization over thousands of years. Because it has built up gradually over generations, our individual moral knowledge is often in-explicit; we say that some things just “feel wrong” but can’teasily explain why.

Yet some things that seem morally horrendous to us now, like slavery, didn’t “feel wrong” to most people a few hundred years ago, or in the bronze age when The Bible was written. That’s powerfulevidence that morality is a form of knowledge that can be improved over time, rather than something that’s hardwired into our genes or dictated once, infallibly, for all eternity.

The human mind is thirsty for explanations. one reason that people persist in irrational supernatural religious beliefs is to account for the moral knowledge that they have, but can’t explain otherwise. They may know what the right moral thing is, but can’t explain why it is the right moral thing other than by invoking an authoritative deity who they believe decrees it to be so. Never mind that a few hundred years ago, their religious predecessors were absolutely convinced that the same deity had quite the opposite opinion.

And at a personal level, religious believers may often know that doing the wrong moral thing will eventually catch up to a person and make their life worse. But they can’t explain how that will happen, other than by invoking some kind of deity who punishes sinners and rewards saints.

And sometimes, people also can’t muster the self control to do the things they know are right, unless they can convince themselves that a supernatural deity is always standing over them, watching and judging.

So, while morality doesn’t come from religion, our need to explain morality and muster the self discipline to abide by it can be a powerful force in perpetuating irrational religious beliefs. This has profound implications for atheists: we need to not only live moral lives ourselves, but improve our ability to explain moral truths and how to live by them to others in an objective, rational, non-supernatural way.

Please read Diamond’s article and then comment: Is there anything else you think Diamond missed about this question? What do you think of the conjecture that the need to explain our moral knowledge plays a role in the perpetuation of irrational religious beliefs?

http://tucsoncitizen.com/freethought-arizona/2013/01/14/1222/

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting! One of my favorite subjects! I will read it as soon as I have the chance. In general i like Diamond's stuff, though of course I don't agree with his every theory. Also, we have an Atheist Morality group where we have posted many interesting discussions on this subject. Please join the group!

I pretty much agree with the whole article by Diamond. Yes, religion does play an important part in in-group behavior, and in the bonding within a given group. This is why religion is often the perfect excuse to start wars, the perfect excuse for dehumanizing "the other". 

It just shows humans are fallible and not "better" than nature itself. I see a cult mentality possibly for survival or weakness or both. Lets look at high school and its cultish ways of those that need to feel they fit into something and would do anything to be accepted. Look at Ohio and that rape situation, prime example yet that seems to be the human way throughout the history of Man.

Religion has NEVER played into my sense of morality, my sense comes from what I consider the correct thing to do. This cannot be for everyone as each person has their own "correct" thing and that is what troubles me. 

What is moral and what is not does change from person to person, however there are certain "rules" that humans come equipped with by "default", such as inequity aversion, a sense of fairness, a desire to help others and to avoid harming others, all useful for a social species such as ours. If we inform this general moral sense with scientific findings and other forms of evidence, we can achieve societal consensus on what is morally wrong and what is not, without resorting to religion or to complete amorality. 

Morality is the core essence of His Message, Humanity in Motion, written as thus;

"Give drink to the thirsty, food to the hungry, clothes to the naked, make time for strangers, comfort the sick, visit the housebound."

But this is not restricted to human need, it's a morality that encompasses all living things. Humans are supposed to be caretakers of the Natural World, not the destroyer of it.

In Revelations, it's written, "Hurt not the Earth, neither the seas nor the trees."

A close examination shows that the preachings of Jesus are nothing more than ordinary mundane everyday life.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service