Feedback and Notes

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

This is where you can introduce yourself to the Atheist Universe community, in as many or as few words as you'd like.

Who are you, what brought you here, where are you coming from, when were you made aware of AU, why did you decide to join...

Add yourself to the Member Map.

Views: 9078

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sick humor,

I'll burn the dough and make an ash mark on my forhead as a sacrafice to not knowing how to cook.

Chuckle.

SanFrancisco bread and yeast is known world round.

San Francisco yeast makes good lauger beer as well.

I've heard that the fungus helpe make good wine in the Napa valley.

Don't discard fungus and yeast as it's important for bread, beer, and wine among other products such as cheese and kimchi.

Hmph ... apparently after all this time, I haven't written an introduction here!  Well, better late than never, I guess:

• I'm male, 65 years old as of this writing, married and currently tending to five very silly kitty-cats.  Pix may be found on my profile page.
  • I'm retired from a 30-year career in electronics field service, where I worked mostly in the semiconductor industry.  I still consult in that field on the side and that makes me some nice spare coin here and there.
  • My hobbies are music and high-end stereo, cars, and single-malt scotch ... and yeah, I DO have expensive tastes!
  • I was probably a de facto atheist for a while, though a great deal of that time was spent as an apatheist.  The RCC child abuse scandal and 9/11 got me started toward making a firmer commitment to atheism, but it wasn't until 2009 that I came out formally.
  • As it comes to my atheism, I am more in the David Silverman camp than the Hemant Mehta POV, though I respect Hemant's work.  I don't go looking for a fight, but I won't walk away from one, either, unless it's evident that nothing is to be gained from arguing.

Outside of the above, I'm pretty much an open book.  Ask a question of me and it's pretty likely you'll get a straight answer.

Loren I have expensive tastes as well and single malt whisky now and then is good for the soul. If I had one. Before my illness I used to go to the theatre regularly but that gets harder now. Prices in the west end are terrible.  

As it comes to that:

• My wife and I recently attended a performance of "All the Way," a play about Lyndon Baines Johnson, Martin Luther King, and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  It was EXCELLENT.  Oh, and should I mention that Cleveland, Ohio has the second largest theater district outside of NYC?  Ticket prices aren't too bad, either!
  • Last night I went to a demo of some new Paradigm speakers.  The audio shop which hosted the event had a considerable spread, which included a bottle of 18-year-old Glenmorangie!  Oh, that stuff was SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!!!!!

You lucky guy I bet it was smooth. When I go to these things they just you insipid white wine yuk. 

A friend of mine's great grandfather used to own a liquor store. We drank some burbon that was probably over 100 years old.  Great stuff - smooth.

This may be a  long lost discussion

New members should tell themselves about how and why they want to contribute to Atheist Universe.

Why do you say that, Chris?
New members first want something from whatever group they join. If they get enough they will stay long enough to contribute.

Answer for yourself, are you getting from AU what you want? If you aren't getting enough, you will burn out.
I burned out once, way back in the 1953-1954 school year. It was so awful that I spent a couple oy years learning how to not let it happen again.
I succeeded, and since then I often ask if I'm getting enough of what I want.

For the most part I get camaraderie from A/U. I enjoy the discussions and other peoples opinions. Social media groups such as this allows friendly debate and interaction.

FaceBook and other social does media does the same. I like this group because it presents a world view and diversity of opinion without mean-ness.

Way back in the early days of the internet - before the World Wide Web I made some good friends through internet access who I continue to maintain contact with.

"...and since then I often ask if I'm getting enough of what I want."

Chris, have you asked often? If so, what reply/replies do you get?

Hi Tom,

Sometimes you have to let the discussion ride to get to know others.

Chris

RSS

© 2017   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service