Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
55 minutes ago
Doone commented on Adriana's group Science!
56 minutes ago
Doone commented on Adriana's group Science!
1 hour ago
Doone commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
1 hour ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
1 hour ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Doone commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
3 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group World History
3 hours ago
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
3 hours ago
Doone commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
3 hours ago
Chris commented on Michel's group Internet
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
5 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and a Country Governed by Filthy Scump People
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
8 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

I heard that the doomsday clock is at two minutes before midnight. 

Climate change, nuclear war and the loss of democracy are the major reasons.

I tend to think democracy (in the U.S) and elsewhare is dead. 

The Supremes (SCOTUS) act as a defacto ongoing constitutional convention.

Congress isn't doing what they were elected to do.   Curious how many hours do they actually work on legislation?   It seems to me that Congress farms out legislation to lobiests as they spend most of their time palming for money.

In the mean time for example Roe VS Wade and other supreme court descisions, and executive orders are with out legal merrit.

NAFTA wasn't a treaty - it was an agreement.

If after every presidential election an agreement is overturned with the new executive branch none of them will mean anything.

Does anyone think there is such a thing as international law?  If so you are mistaken. It's about treaties that must be ratified by congress. My understanding is that a treaty takes a 2/3 majority in congress.   

I ask when was the last treaty ratified?

Don't you think that a Supreme court justice should require a 2/3'd vote?   That would help level the floor.

It seems as though the children  sucking up to capital in congress change the rules on a whim.

- I could go on and on.

The U.S. Congress for years has been unfunctional.

I know the U.S. democracy was broken before the W. Bush vs Gore descision when the Supremes stepped in when they should have let it up to the Florida appellate court  recount the ballots, or have another election.

I could go on an on  - especially with how cable news network speculation and even worse for people outside of broadband or cable are subjected to no news from the networks ABC, CBS, and NBC.  Network news. which is about a half hour  may have about two minutes of  B/S when considering the lead in to a piece and commercials. They have no shame. 

Cable news is  about speculation and prediction. 

I used to subscribe to US news and World Report, and  and another one - it's immaterial now.  I used to like to get a comprehensive digestive of news with out having to read the dailies of which I read three.  That collapsed when the Nany Kerrigon Tonya Harding Olymic scater took headlines.  I heald on - Then came the OJ Sympson trial with took all the pages.  I canceled the weeklys what became nothing other than tabloid rags.

Many dailies still have merrit to them.  News print and investigative journalism is important.   Investigative journalism  will be under attack with the arrest of  Assange.

The majors such as the NYT's and NYP should be ashamed of themselves for not sticking up for Assange and defending freedom of the press.

Ajit Pai!  I recieved two calls yesterday - one appeard to be from my health care provider, the other from my insurance company.   Low and behold -

"This is Rachel at credit card services..." whan I answered.   This has been going on for years.

According to people who work in the communications industry  half of the calls received will be roocalls mimicing a telephone number from a local business one does business with.

Having ranted about that - I'll continue and write that some people don't like government.

I ask them do you trust corporations over government?

To which I add at least with government you have some hope of controlling the process.

A friend of mine reminded me about the movie "Network" with Peter Finch as Howard Beal and other fine actors produced in 1976.  That movie may be more relavent today than when it was screened.  If one hasen't watched the entire move I encourage it.

My rant for the day.

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you think as Beer boy Cavania  says presidents matters look at  what Thomas says for example -

Pllessy v. Ferguson.

Separate but equal was a legal doctrine in United States constitutional law according to which racial segregation did not violate the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which guaranteed "equal protection" under the law to all people. Under the doctrine, as long as the facilities provided to each race were equal, state and local governments could require that services, facilities, public accommodations, housing, medical care, education, employment, and transportation be segregated by race, which was already the case throughout the states of the former Confederacy. The phrase was derived from a Louisiana law of 1890, although the law actually used the phrase "equal but separate".[1][better source needed]

The doctrine was confirmed in the Plessy v. Ferguson Supreme Court decision of 1896, which allowed state-sponsored segregation. Though segregation laws existed before that case, the decision emboldened segregation states during the Jim Crow era, which had commenced in 1876 and supplanted the Black Codes, which restricted the civil rights and civil liberties of African Americans during the Reconstruction Era.

and how it was overtuned by Brown vs. Board of Education.

-- I heard that the top three democracies in the world by voters are India, Indonesia with a terrible human rights record - Any one remember East Timor? 

Maybe the US is third.  I'll have to do more research.

Some Floridians and Texans are angry about my posts.

good -- keep it up ---- Texans are not real anyway---men with silly hats

yes that was almost true to life

tell me I think Bernie Sanders for President

what is wrong with the non-votes-why don't they vote? they let in the morons by not voting

or do you think this is otherwise

because here DownUnder it is compulsory---which makes people think a bit--and about 10% spoil the ballot paper---making the vote voluntarily -informal--as a protest they don't like what is on offer---

I am close to this myself

I think mandatory voting  as you Aussies have is a good idea. Here in the states  many things are done to prevent voting.

Without a free press citizens aren't informed.  In the states six congrumulates control ninety percent of knews propiganda.

As you know Murdock and others have made a monoply of information therefore politics.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service