Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

Latest Activity

jenny ebol is now a member of Atheist Universe
3 hours ago
Chris commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral | Fungus or Scump
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
13 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Shelby Clark
14 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Jeff Lang
14 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
14 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral | Fungus or Scump
15 hours ago
Stephen commented on A Former Member's group Animal | Vegetable | Mineral | Fungus or Scump
15 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
18 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
22 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
22 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
yesterday
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
yesterday
Chris commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Democrats and Senate fail with Supreme court nomination

Discussion about Kavvanaugh and other topics about the  Supremes, and democrats seem to have missed the point.

Had the senate not changed the rules on a whim where a simple majority was able to appoint a supreme court justice  then the president would have appointed a supreme court justice that would be more appropriate  ,or moderate country..

Kavanaugh is obviously a right wing. 

A Judge should be neutral.

Good investigative reporters don't vote, because it will influence their opinions.

A supreme court judge shouldn't represent as a conservative, or liberal.  

For me  It seems that Kavanaush failed the test of neutrality - for that reason he shouldn't approved.

I'm not reading this in news papers, but that to me seems to  the a crux of the problem

W.T.F?

For your viewing pleasure.

https://therealnews.com/stories/sanders-calls-for-kavanaugh-perjury...

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For more about Judge Brett Kavanaush's Supreme Court hearing testimony.

Please see the attached link that includes a transcript.

https://therealnews.com/stories/kavanaugh-sexual-assault-accusation...

Crowdsourcing effort raised millions in support of Sen. Collins’ fu...

I briefly looked on maplight.org to see campaign contributions to Senator Collins. in the brief search I saw saw a a max of $5,000 from a contributor.  I didn't see a way to sort online by dollar amount.  I'm looking forward to having my other computer returned fully repaired so I am able to use a database that will sort through a downloadable database.  I don't know if map link is able to verify dark money from PACS for example.

In any event calling a donation to a political candidate bribery is laughable. Political contributions by corporations, PACS are intended as bribes.  Everyone should know that's the game that's played. If not candidates would vote with the wishes of citizens in the district they represent.  How often does that happen? In respect to that perhaps I should answer telephone polls.  Typically I don't like the wording of the poll questions. The way the questions are phrased may and I think are often used to skew the response to the question.

An unknown, future Democratic Senate candidate in Maine has already received millions for his or her 2020 campaign.

As of Tuesday afternoon, a crowdsourcing effort to raise money against Sen. Susan Collins’ (R- Maine) 2020 reelection raised more than $3.6 million for a yet-to-be-determined Democratic challenger.

The fundraising campaign was started to pressure Collins to vote against the contentious confirmation of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. He was officially confirmed to the Court by the full Senate on Saturday after weeks of controversy spurred by sexual assault allegations against the judge.

Collins, who remained publicly undecided until Friday afternoon, voted in favor of Kavanaugh. As a moderate Republican, she was considered a swing vote thanks to her history of supporting pro-choice issues and receiving funds from pro-choice groups.

The campaign was created in August by Be A Hero Team, Maine People’s Alliance and Mainers for Accountable Leadership on Crowdpac, a fundraising platform. In September, Collins accused the effort of bribery and bullying.

Before the confirmation vote for Kavanaugh, the organizers said they would give the campaign’s pledges back to the donors if Collins voted no.

“Senator Collins betrayed the public trust when she voted in favor of Kavanaugh’s confirmation,” the groups said on Crowdpac. “The people of Maine have been clear with you, Senator Collins: the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court Justice is a threat to all Mainers.”

While the 2020 race is two years away, the future Democratic candidate already has more campaign funding than Collins.

So far, Collins has $1.3 million on hand for her 2020 reelection. In past campaigns, Collins consistently outraised her opponents and easily won the elections. Since her election in 1996, she’s increasingly raised more funds and won a higher percentage of the vote.

In 1996, she was first elected as senator after raising $1.7 million and winning 49 percent of the vote. The Democratic candidate, Joseph Brennan, raised $978,848.

Collins won her re-election in 2002 with 58 percent of the vote in the general election, raising $4.2 million compared to her opponent Chellie Pingree’s $3.8 million.

In 2008, she won with 60 percent of the vote and raised $8 million, over $2 million more than her Democratic challenger, Tom Allen. The pattern repeated in 2014, Collins won 68 percent of the vote and raised $6 million, while the Democratic candidate — Sheena Bellows — raised $2.3 million.

Over 120,000 people have donated to the future opposition’s 2020 campaign, and people are continuing to donate as of Tuesday afternoon. The effort’s new fundraising goal is $4 million.

Collins accused the effort of bribery and bullying.

At least one ethics expert consulted by The Washington Post said that it may very well violate federal bribery statutes, which prohibit giving or offering anything of value to government officials in exchange for any acts or votes. And Collins issued a sharply worded response through a spokeswoman that called it an attempt at extortion.

Senator Collins may be one who votes independent of campaign donations contributors. It appears that there is a double standard. PACS and Dark money campaign contributions influence the outcome of elections.  Without that money candidates wouldn't have name recognition therefore wouldn't be elected.  Isn't that the game?

Money is speech.  I'd like  this to go before the supremes after they no longer are political appointees.  A-hole congress shouldn't have pulled the nuclear option where a simple majority can change senate rules or elect the most influential body in the U.S. government.  

Was it the then Democrat Majority leader Senator Harry Reid that pushed the simple majority rule? I don't remember.

The fourth estate, that partially being corporate TV news for the most part is broken.  It's difficult to tell the difference between most TV news and television shows such as "Entertainment Tonight."  As it is corporate TV news broadcasts information about Donald Trump as though it was "The Donald Trump Reality Show."  The problem with news is because the FCC board are also political appointees.

My rant about broken democracy for the day.

Judge Gorsuch the previously appointed Supreme court political appointee is par with Kavanaugh in a different way

Please see Judge Gorsuch and the frozen truck driver. The link includes a video of the senate hearing.

"Alphonse Maddin was employed as a truck driver by ... TransAm Trucking. ... In January 2009, Maddin was transporting cargo through Illinois when the brakes on his trailer froze because of subzero temperatures. After reporting the problem to TransAm and waiting several hours for a repair truck to arrive, Maddin unhitched his truck from the trailer and drove away, leaving the trailer unattended. He was terminated for abandoning the trailer."
At 11:17 p.m., Maddin called his emergency into a dispatcher who promised that help would be summoned. Two hours later at 1:18 a.m., Maddin was still waiting for help, but by now his torso and feet were feeling numb from the cold. It seems the heat in the truck wasn't working properly.
The driver called in again, but this time a dispatcher warned him not to leave the freezing truck. He called the dispatcher again, saying he couldn't feel his feet and was having trouble breathing. Finally, Maddin unhooked the truck, pulled it 3 feet in front of the trailer and proceeded to call the dispatcher yet again. He was instructed either to drag the trailer with the frozen brakes with him -- probably an impossible task -- or continue to wait in the freezing cab until help arrived. Maddin ignored the order and drove away with what little gas he had left. For this act of insubordination, he was fired.
More in the link above.

Happily, Gorsuch was a minority.

Neil Gorsuch is a member of of the Supreme Court.

? Happily, Gorsuch was a minority.

I don't understand your comment.

A minority opinion loses. 

Gorsuch is on the Supremes.

Kavanaugh is as well..

It's apparent that Halloween is approaching.  

Comments and thought are dead.

Chris, about Kavanaugh.

I saw a story about the SCOTUS chief justice referring the Kavanaugh info to a panal of appellate justices to consider his “judicial temperament” and whether he lied at earlier confirmation.

Have you seen anything on it?

Tom

It may be an interesting subject.

The culture he grew up in (at a private exclusive religious boys school) is what the argument is abou.t Kavanaughs ideas about drinking and high school girls - the boys club is the culture he apparently was raised in.

Kavanaugh's temperament is apparently is what the R's want in a Supreme.

Unfortunately (Political and perhaps criminal) FBI records are sealed.

It's a shame when the Senate and Potus are able to conceal and minimize investigations to make a political SCOTUS (Scrotum)  a political apointee rather than  what should be a congressional confirmation supreme court justice.

Again, had nominations for offices such as the Supreme Court, or FCC been approved by a 2/3 process the candidates would be more appropriate.

I haven't seen anything about previous hearings about Kavanaugh.

Two cases of importance are 

While at Kikland & Ellis, Kavanaugh authored two amicus briefs to the Supreme Court, supporting religious activities and expressions in public places.[61] The first, in 2000, in Santa Fe Independent School District v. Doe, argued that a student speaker at football games voted for by a majority of students should be treated as private speech in a limited public forum; the second, in Good News Club v. Milford Central School, argued that a Christian Bible instruction program should have the same after-school access to school facilities as other non-curriculum-related student groups.[62]

My feeling is he's a  domionist riding on the coat tail of fascists.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service