Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

Latest Activity

Joey Daniel Smith and Chris are now friends
11 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
12 hours ago
Stephen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
12 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
13 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Some Nutty Country ruled by a Cockroach Rider News
14 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Prankster.p7 prrr
16 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Chrissy Mein
16 hours ago
Suzanna commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
17 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
20 hours ago
Stephen commented on Nofaithpoet's group Poetry Of The Mind
20 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
20 hours ago
D L replied to D L's discussion Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?
21 hours ago
D L replied to D L's discussion Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
22 hours ago
Stephen commented on Lutz's status
yesterday
Lutz posted a status
"The Festive Season is here. I have bought myself a whole heap of books and dvds. And most have arrived. I don't watch TV because I aint got"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Is it possible for children brought up in a religious upbringing to move beyond?

Ones I've seen arent able to. They always seem to carry the baggage.

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Joey

I don't understand metaphorically the Amazon Jungle shrunken head comment.   Historically I understand that shrunken heads and what not didn't occur in the Amazon.  I may and likely am incorrect about that and other things.

Have you read anything about John Frum?

Be good to yourself.

Chris

Dhris, 

The concept is that people born into a culture, absorb that culture.  The higher the I.Q., the quicker and better members of that culture they become.  If one could take a Jewish baby in a time machine, back to Berlin and leave it with a Nazi family, the baby would grow up assimilating the culture.  The more intelligent the baby, the quicker and more proficient a Nazi it would grow up to be.  The only defense is a thorough, liberal, global, educational awareness.

Thanks, Joey

Nice one Joey I hadn't thought about it that way before but of course your right.

Mark Twian (Samuel Clemens) wrote:

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Touche...and Good on Ya Chris!!!!!  Mark Twain, Samuel Clemens, was a genius.

Joey

I have been homeless twice!  I got that way by doing everything I was initially taught!

I am no longer homeless, haven't been for a long, long time.....In fact, I own my own home!

But it wasn't until I discarded all the B.S. I was initially taught as a child, that I could achieve this.

It's a good thing that Jesus never existed!  He was a pure Roman attempt at Mind Control.  To all 

Christians everywhere I would just like to say ....go flagellate yourself, rend your garments, but actually seeking the assistance of a mental Health Professional might be better.  You know, a Therapist. It's nice to know that 2,000 years ago, that Jesus died for my sins.  Except that now I feel like I am being billed for something I did not ask for!  I wish he had ask me first.  Or didn't he even care about what I felt, or might feel?  Yes, and any Christian who might encounter Jesus, tell him for me that I said "he can go and screw himself to a local tree, now piss off...I have some sinning to do!!!!!"

I tend to agree that people who believe that there is such a thing as heaven and hell - ghosts, deimons, and the like have problems with reality.

It you look at it most people believe in such nonsense.

It's unbelievable to me how many 'believe in 'ancient aliens' for example - or seances.

Seances for what it's worth began after WWI.

I dislike how many - for example tend to 'worship' for example sports teams, movie stars, political leaders, and etcetera.

It's kind of funny (sick)  -  What's your favorite color  - which I heard while going through elementary school.

My thouthts were and is what's the point of a favorite color?' 

I had a elementery school teacher ask the class when we were in second grade - that would be about age 8 - what do you want to do when you grow up.   I told the teacher - even then I was outspoken - "How would I know I'm only in second grade."

Seances for what it's worth began after WWI because many were unable to comprehend the attrocities that occured.

They are a bunch of charlatans- that continues to this day.

Chris, 

The people, professionals, who make a living off of religion are the lowest scum on earth.  Imams, Priests, Ministers, etc.  make their living by extorting money from the poor and uneducated and infirm, by attempting to instill an artificial sense of guilt, a guilt for being Human.  They hide behind words like education, they mean indoctrination and brainwashing. They hide behind the words "ethics" and "morality".  Christianity, for example, has No Morality.  A neighbor once told me I should feel humility (and what a religious mind control device that is!)  Humble, yes...Humility no...and there is a difference.  Humility comes from the word Humiliation, Religious sycophants want you to feel humility/humiliation for being human, for being true to your own nature.

Joey

Joey,

I occasionally write about different types of intelligence.  There isn't conclusive evidence about the variety.   Philosophers often often talk about it.

For What it's worth a radio show you may be interested in is: 

https://www.philosophytalk.org/

A couple of months ago an older guy from the Jehovah's Witness' came by my house with a young teen age girl.  I could tell they weren't related - they didn't look at all alike.   I have a narrow landing to my front door so the girl was on the landing the elderly gentleman was  was at the bottom of the steps.   The girl knocked on the door, which I opened.  She asked me "What is my biggest fear about the end of the world."   I replied, "Climate Change."  She then looked back at the guardian who nodded - then she open up some kind of bible that had bookmarks about armageddon and read some passages out of it.   

It was obvious she was being indoctrinated into the fear of hell  - where salvation comes from from proselytizing. 

I felt sorry for her - thinking - wondering if she was a religious slave to the Jehovah's Witness church.   I was thinking how much is she a religious slave proselytizing for that group.  

Later I thought I should have handed her a note with my telephone number saying if she wanted a way out I'd find a way for her to escape.  I've read about groups that do that.  It's legally difficult, and of course risky.

It sounds like you were fortunate that your foster parents saw your intelligence and took care of you as foster parents should.  I don't think that happens very often.

Another story.

I purchased a house.  The garage had four rooms set up in it, which I promptly tore out after moving in - not thinking much about it.

Part of the sale required the seller to install gutters, which the seller didn't.  I looked around and found a sale on gutters. I asked the seller to pay for the gutters that I was going to install myself.  The real estate broker gave me a sad story that the previous owner had all these children to take care of and couldn't afford the cost of materials.  I basically said that's too bad - if the seller can't afford it take it out of your commission.  I don't know what happened there, but the small cost of the materials compared to the cost of installation was minimal.

Later I learned from neighbors that the guy who lived there kicked his own two something like 15-17 year old kids out to get the foster kids. The neighbors basically told me that he supported himself by 'fostering' the kids'.

One neighbor told me that he purchased a remote control car for his child for christmas. He said he and his son were playing with it in the street.   The guy whose house I lived in had a dog in a kennel in the back yard. He said the dog was barking as he and his son were driving the car around the street. The previous owner of the house I now occupied came out and read he and his son the riot act for making his dog bark. 

How did that guy get foster kids?

Many people don't like to talk about things such as this.  

When I was a Software Engineer for the gub'mint, in Springfield Illinois, I was friends with two gum'mint programmers.  Marna and Ron Cates. Ron flew F-4's and eventually F16's for the 186th Tactical Fighter Group in Springfield, Illinois. His wife Marna and I shared the same office space.  Anyway, they lived out away from the city. Her hobby was raising and breeding Malamutes, Huskies and German Sheppard's.

One weekend they invited me to a barbeque at their home.  I rode with her to the Market to get stuff for the Barbeque.  She had Kennels in the back yard and had some of the most magnificent animals. She had one female Huskie, with one blue eye and one brown eye.  Before we left for the store, her neighbor who owned a Doberman came over and warned Marna about keeping her Huskie safe, because the Doberman kept trying to leap over the fence.  Marna just laughed and we went to the store.  As we returned, we noticed her Huskie tossing something in the air and playing with it, there was snow on the ground.  As we pulled up into the driveway, we went out back to the kennels to see what had transpired.  Well, the neighbors Doberman apparently had leaped over the fence and Marna's Huskie, 1 quarter of the size of the Doberman, Ate it and was playing with and tossing around its fur in the snow.  Hey, sometimes dynamite comes in small packages!!!!

Reminds me of the slogan from the American Revolution...."Don't Tread on Me"  Just an antidote, I thought I would share...

All the best to everyone....Joey 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service