Feedback and Notes

Latest Activity

Doone commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
1 hour ago
Lauren Ell added a discussion to the group Republican Atheists
5 hours ago
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of the Naked Ape
6 hours ago
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
13 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
14 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
14 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Religion leads to Trumpism
14 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
14 hours ago
Carolyn Barratt left a comment for Stephen
16 hours ago
Carolyn Barratt left a comment for Stephen
16 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for william cinkaj
16 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Lupe Cervantes
16 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Carolyn Barratt
16 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
18 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
18 hours ago
18 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Canada, Most of the World and A County Led by An Orange Proto Orangutan News
19 hours ago
19 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Psst,

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/10/28/electronic_frontier_foundati...

New details are emerging about how AT&T has been spying on Americans for profit with a secret plan called Project Hemisphere. The Daily Beast reports AT&T is keeping private call records and selling the information to authorities investigating everything from the war on drugs to Medicaid fraud. AT&T reportedly has been retaining every call, text message, Skype chat or other communication that has passed through its infrastructure. Some of the records date back to 1987. Sheriff’s and police departments each pay upward of $1 million a year for access to the call records. No warrants are needed, and AT&T requires governmental agencies to keep secret the source of the information. We speak with Adam Schwartz, a senior lawyer at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. His latest article is "AT&T requires police to hide Hemisphere phone spying."

More information follws:

AT&T Is Spying on Americans for Profit, New Documents Reveal.

The telecom giant is doing NSA-style work for law enforcement—without a warrant—and earning millions of dollars a year from taxpayers.

The telecom giant is doing NSA-style work for law enforcement—without a warrant—and earning millions of dollars a year from taxpayers.

Even after the gravesite was discovered and McStay’s DNA was found inside Merritt’s vehicle, police were far from pinning the quadruple homicide on him.

Until they turned to Project Hemisphere.

Hemisphere is a secretive program run by AT&T that searches trillions of call records and analyzes cellular data to determine where a target is located, with whom he speaks, and potentially why.

“Merritt was in a position to access the cellular telephone tower northeast of the McStay family gravesite on February 6th, 2010, two days after the family disappeared,” an affidavit for his girlfriend’s call records reports Hemisphere finding (PDF). Merritt was arrested almost a year to the date after the McStay family’s remains were discovered, and is awaiting trial for the murders.

In 2013, Hemisphere was revealed by The New York Times and described only within a Powerpoint presentation made by the Drug Enforcement Administration. The Times described it as a “partnership” between AT&T and the U.S. government; the Justice Department said it was an essential, and prudently deployed, counter-narcotics tool.

However, AT&T’s own documentation—reported here by The Daily Beast for the first time—shows Hemisphere was used far beyond the war on drugs to include everything from investigations of homicide to Medicaid fraud..

Please see the above links and take the time to read them.

Having said that murders and violent people should be brought to trial to keep us safe.

Apparently the 4th amendment is dead.

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

Difficult subject?

I thought I'd get some kind of response about this to support  internet freedom and 4th amendment rights.

Eunuch's 

Perhaps I shouldn't have used "That Word."

Internet and political converstation A.K.A. 'controversy' perhaps should be quelled and die a slow death of apathy.

perhaps people don't like being called Eunuch's  perhaps its enough that people read the posts.

As Daffy Duck would say it's 'deathspicical" that no one commented on this.

I find it boaring that no one on Atheist Universe is willing to comment on some of the subjects I bring forth.

I guess that's okay and should be expected.

The reason I didn't comment on your interesting post is because of the time zone difference.

But I doubt that you will find any national or international  ISP that doesn't collaborate with there respective governments.  

This article is about a private company collecting and selling information for money to government agencies that use it to throw someone in jail, or prison.

What is privacy?

I'm in a discussion about this with a friend who says your thoughts are your are your own as long as you don't exress them to anyone else.  He says If you express them them to any others then the government has a right to hear your expressed thoughts - even  within the privacy of your own house.  His opion as expressessed so far is that anything you say, write, or, express is open to government  surveillance without a warrant even within your own house to your friend, partner, or wife.

I look forward to talking about this with him more under the 'Get Smart' "Cone of Silence."

I asked about warrants. He replied that warrants are open to anyone to view, therefore warrents signal 'offenders' they are being surveilled.

I asked about FISA courts, which is secret which stumped  him.

As a private citizen it seems that I should feel free to talk about anything I want without private companies, or government agencies taking it for granted that they are allowed to 'listen' to everything I say, or write.

Sorry I don't seem to have full access to archives of LexisNexis

------

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/lnacademic/

If so I'd post the article (pole) from the terrible rag USA Today dated 1984 referring to the George Orwell novel stating that most people wouldn't mind if there were monitors (cameras and microphones) in every room of their house recording everything they said and did.

Perhaps someone else knows of the front page article I'm attempting to reffer to.

Aaron Swartz might be another case to bring forth.

Unfortunately many have short memories.

What happens when conglomerates gain contol of news media, markets and etcetera.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/terms/supplemental/

The above is an example of  international capitalism (monopolies) at its worse.

It's too bad Aaron didn't fight his case in court. I think with appropriate backing he would have won at least in the sphere of State and Federally funded University research papers.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service